NORTH ANDOVER, Mass.- The Merrimack women's ice hockey team was unable to break through the UConn Huskies on Saturday, falling 5-0 at home despite a strong defensive effort.
Score: Merrimack 0, UConn 5
Records: Merrimack (1-2-0, 1-2-0 HE) | UConn (3-4-0, 3-4-0 HE)
Location: Lawler Rink | North Andover, Mass.
How It Happened
- UConn's first of the game came from Kathryn Stockdale, as she crashed the net with a teammate chasing in on goal with her.
- A minute later the Huskies added another, as Kate Klassen scored on a rebound after an initial shot from the half boards, pulling the Warriors defense off to one side.
-The visitors took a 3-0 lead at 11:13 of the second, as Viki Harnkess grabbed a puck loose in traffic to tally.
- In the third, Danielle Fox finished a 2-on-1 break, shoveling in a tip as she closed in on goal. Adding a fifth, the Huskies' Alexandra Anne-Boyer earned an unassisted goal at 14:24.
- Merrimack fired 25 shots on goal, including a 10-shot third period, but were unable to break through the Huskies defense.
Notes & Numbers
- A continually strong presence, Emma Gorski turned away 38 shots in the contest for the Warriors.
- Offensively, Gabby Jones and Raice Szott led the team in shots on goal with four shots each.
- Goaltenders: Emma Gorski (38 saves, 1-3-0) | Tia Chan (25 saves, 2-1-1)
- Power Plays: MC 0-3 | UConn 0-4
- Shots on Goal: MC 9 UConn 13 | MC 6, UConn 12 | MC 10, UConn 18 | MC 25, UConn 43
- Faceoffs: 17 MC | 29 UConn
- Blocks: 23 MC | 12 UConn
The Warriors will return to the ice in 2021 following the holidays.