PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the Boston College Eagles, 3-2, in Schneider Arena on Saturday, Nov. 28. The Friars netted two in the third to seal their 3-2 victory. Providence improves to 3-0-1 on the season.
Providence - 3 | Boston College - 2
Providence - 3-0-1 (0-0-0 HEAW) | Boston College - 2-2-0 (2-0-0 HEAW)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Lindsay Bochna (Toronto, Ontario) wasted no time putting the Friars up 1-0 just 1:24 into the first period. The freshman's tally was the first of her collegiate career.
- Providence carried their 1-0 lead into the first intermission. Sandra Abstreiter (Freising, Germany) stood strong with 12 saves in the period.
- The Eagles pulled ahead in the middle period, tallying two goals by Hadley Martmetz and Savannah Norcross at 5:14 and 19:17, respectively.
- Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) tied up the score only 48 seconds into the third period putting the puck up over the shoulder of BC goalie, Kelly Pickreign, and equalizing the score at 2-2. Hjalmarsson was assisted by freshmen duo Maddy Coene (Clayton, N.Y.) and Brooke Becker (Orchard Park, N.Y.)
- Providence took the lead 13:19 into the final period with a goal on the power-play by Lauren DeBlois (Lewiston, Maine). DeBlois's slapshot was assisted by Hayley Lunny (Bedford, N.Y.) and Chloe Gonsalves (Toronto, Ontario) for her third goal of the season.
- Abstreiter tallied 32 saves on the afternoon to improve to 3-0-1 on the season.
Power plays: 1-4
Penalty kill: 1-1
Boston College -
Power plays: 0-1
Penalty kill: 3-4
Providence will play Holy Cross in a home-and-home series next weekend. The Friars will host the series opener with Crusaders on Friday, Dec. 4 at 6:00 p.m. before traveling to Worcester, Mass. on Saturday, Dec. 5.