CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - The No. 7/8 Boston College women's hockey team fell at home on Friday afternoon, 3-2, to the Providence College Friars.
Savannah Norcross opened the scoring just 3:34 into the first period but Providence would grab two power-play goals to take a 2-1 lead to the dressing room after 20 minutes of play. After no goals were scored in the middle frame, the Friars grabbed a short-handed goal at 11:26 of the third period to capture a 3-1 lead. Despite a late third period score from Maegan Beres, and an 18-4 shot advantage for the Eagles in the final 20 minutes, the Friars were able to hold on for the victory.
Abigail Levy finished with 25 saves in net for the Eagles while Sandra Abstreiter stopped 34 shots which included 17 in the final frame.
The Eagles went 0-for-5 on the power play while Providence went 2-for-5. BC held the 26-28 lead in shot on goal in the game.
No. 7/8 Boston College 2, Providence 3
Friday, Nov. 27, 2020 | 2 p.m.
Kelley Rink | Chestnut Hill, Mass.
1st, 3:34 |1-0, BC GOAL: After an offensive zone faceoff win by Kelly Browne, Gaby Roy scooped the puck from the outer left circle and then dished a pass over to Savannah Norcross right in front of the crease. With a defender on her, she was able to send it past the glove of Abstreiter.
1st, 5:31 | 1-1, PC GOAL: On the power-play, Lauren Deblois sent a slap shot from the top of the point which bounced off the end boards and came through the crease, and the puck banked off the left pad of Levy and into the back of the cage.
1st, 18:18 | 2-1, PC GOAL: A nice effort at the blueline as Claire Tyo gloved down a clearing effort from the Eagles and she sent a slap shot on target which beat Levy low glove side on the power-play.
3rd, 8:34 | 3-1, PC GOAL: After a big shot block short-handed for the Friars, Annelise Rice went down on a breakaway and was able to beat Levy through the five hole.
3rd, 15:32 | 3-2, BC GOAL: Jillian Fey sent a shot off the side of the cage which led to a two-on-two puck battle behind the net. Hadley Hartmetz came out with the puck and threw a wrist shot on net from below the left circle which left a rebound right on the goal line and Maegan Beres backhanded it past Abstreiter.
- BC now holds a 38-39-3 record in the all-time series with Providence ... the Eagles are 19-18-2 against the Friars at Kelley Rink ... head coach Katie Crowley is 31-7-3.
- Providence snapped the Eagles 13-game home win streak vs the Friars at Kelley Rink, which dated to Feb. 24, 2012.
- Savannah Norcross recorded her second goal of the season and her 25th career point.
- Maegan Beres scored her first goal of the season ... she now leads all Eagles skaters with seven career points (1-6-7) in 10 career games vs. Providence.
- Abigail Levy made 25 saves in her first career start in net for BC.
- The Eagles now have seven different goal scorers through the first three games of the season.
Providence College: 2-0-1, 2-0-1 HEA
Boston College: 2-1-0, 2-1-0 HEA
Boston College will face Providence College tomorrow a 3 p.m. at Schneider Arena.