PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the Quinnipiac Bobcats, 2-1, on Friday, Oct. 4 at Schneider Arena. Providence knotted the game at one goal apiece in the second period, but Quinnipiac responded with the eventual game-winner just 1:31 later.
Providence - 1 | Quinnipiac - 2
Providence: 0-1-0 | Quinnipiac: 1-0-0
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Neither team gathered many opportunities in the first period of play, but the Bobcats took a 1-0 advantage with 3:45 remaining in the period. Kati Tabin slid the puck over to Zoe Boyd at the top of the left circle, Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) blocked two shots in front of net before the puck redirected to Hoskin on the edge of the right circle. Hoskin buried a wrister far post past Clare Minnerath (Sartell, Minn.).
- The second period came with each side trading a goal apiece. Bailey Burton (Bloomington, Minn.) lit the lamp for her first career goal nine minutes into the second period. Dove picked up her first assist of the season putting a shot off the goalie that Burton corralled in front of the net before finishing on the back hand past Ives.
- Quinnipiac answered quickly just 1:31 later. Kenzie Prater put a shot on net from the right point that bounced around in front of the net before Taylor House hammered the loose puck home inside the crease.
- The Bobcats held a 17-9 advantage in shots heading into the final period of play.
- Neither side could find a goal in the third period of play. The Friars put four shots on the Quinnipiac netminder with one minute to play, holding a six-on-five advantage after pulling Minnerath for the extra attacker.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Quinnipiac) - 16:15/1st - PP - Alexa Hoskin (Boyd, Tabin) - Wrist shot far post from the inside edge of the right circle
1-1 (Providence) - 8:13/2nd - EV - Bailey Burton (Dove) - Backhand on the goal linebehind the goaltender off a rebound
2-1 (Quinnipiac) - 9:44/2nd - EV - Taylor House (Adzija, Prater) - Puck rebounded onto the goal line that House finished
Providence: Clare Minnerath - 23 saves, 2 goal against
Quinnipiac: Abbie Ives - 14 saves, 1 goals against
Power plays: 0-3 (0%)
Penalty kill: 1-2 (50%)
Power plays: 1-2 (50%)
Penalty kill: 3-3 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Julien, Murphy (3)
Goals: Burton (1)
Assists: Dove (1)
Points: Burton, Dove (1)
The Friars will wrap up the home-and-home series against Quinnipiac tomorrow, Oct. 5 on the road beginning at 3 p.m.