NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. - Tyce Thompson recorded a career-high five assists and Nick Poisson recorded two goals and an assist as No. 16 Providence College men's hockey downed Merrimack on the road, 5-1, on Saturday at Lawler Rink. With the win, Head Coach Nate Leaman joined Lou Lamoriello (248 wins) as the only head coaches in program history to hit the 200-win milestone.
Providence - 5 | Merrimack - 1
No. 16 Providence - 8-5-4 (8-5-4 HEAM) | Merrimack - 2-10-1 (2-10-1 HEAM)
Lawler Rink - North Andover, Mass.
Jaxson Stauber (PC) - 28 saves
Zach Borgiel (MC) - 25 saves
- Merrimack carried the play in the opening period, outshooting the Friars by an 8-5 margin.
- Providence has gone five-consecutive games without scoring a goal in the first period.
- Freshman Nick Poisson broke through for the Friars at 7:55 of the second period as he hammered a one-timer off a feed from Tyce Thompson off the post and in past Borgiel.
- Nearly 10 minutes later, Poisson re-directed his second goal of the game off a point shot from Cam McDonald for his fourth tally of the season.
- The Friars extended their lead to three at 5:11 of the third period on Brett Berard's third strike of the season and second in as many games.
- Patrick Moynihan's one-timer on the power play gave Providence a 4-0 lead at 9:09 of the third period for his fourth goal of the year.
- Regan Kimens broke the shutout bid for Stauber with 5:24 left in regulation.
- Greg Printz added his fifth goal of the season into an empty net with 29 seconds remaining.
- Stauber improves on his impressive season totals - 1.71 GAA and a .932 save percentage in 15 games.
- Moynihan now has three goals and three assists during his four-game point streak.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Poisson (2)
Assists: Thompson (5)
Points: Thompson (5)
Shots: Berard (6)
Providence - 1/1
Merrimack - 0/2
Providence - 30
Merrimack - 29