BURLINGTON, Vt. - Tyce Thompson scored his 14th goal early in the first period but that's all the No. 13/15 Providence College men's hockey team could get past Darion Hanson in a 1-1 tie against Union on Sunday (Dec. 29) at the Catamount Cup in Burlington, Vt.
Providence - 1 | Union - 1 - OT
No. 13/15 Providence - 10-5-4 (6-4-2 HEAM) | Union - 5-13-1 (3-5-0 ECAC)
Gutterson Fieldhouse - Burlington, Vt.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 28 saves
Darion Hanson (UC) - 39 saves
- Tyce Thompson netted his NCAA-leading 14th goal of the season and his fifth power play strike at 6:23 of the first period to put the Friars up 1-0. Thompson blasted a one-timer off a feed from Michael Callahan past Union's Darian Hanson.
- The Friars looked poised to take a 2-0 lead after Union's Zach Emelifeonwu was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for boarding but Hanson turned aside all six Friar shots on the power play.
- Providence held a 18-7 shot advantage after 20 minutes.
- The teams skated through a scoreless second period. The Dutchmen held a 15-8 advantage in shots in the middle frame, but Michael Lackey stood tall again for the Friars. Lackey stopped 58-of-60 shots he faced over the weekend.
- Union tied things up with just 5:11 left in regulation as Vas Kolias finished a rebound off a shot from Anthony Rinaldi.
- Greg Printz nearly found the back of the net in overtime for the second time in as many games, but his re-direction at the post trickled just wide of the net.
- Jack Dugan recorded his NCAA-leading 35th point and 29th assist on Thompson's goal. He has points in 16 of 19 games this season.
- Providence scored first for the 17th time in 19 games this season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 6:23/1st - PP - Tyce Thompson (Callahan, Dugan) - One-timer from the left circle off a feed from Callahan.
1-1 (UC) - 14:49/3rd - EV - Vas Kolias (Rinaldi, Campolieto) - Rebound on the doorstep off a shot from Rinaldi.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Thompson (1)
Assists: Callahan, Dugan (1)
Points: Callahan, Dugan, Thompson (1)
Shots: Dugan (7)
Providence - 1/3
Union - 0/4
Providence - 40
Union - 29
The Friars are back in action at the Fortress Invitational next weekend (Jan. 3-4) in Las Vegas, Nev. Providence will face-off against Army West Point on Friday before playing either Cornell or Ohio State on Saturday night.