Boyle Stops 33 Shots As UMass Lowell Tops New Hampshire, 2-0
Junior goaltender Kevin Boyle makes 33 saves for River Hawks

Junior goaltender Kevin Boyle made 33 saves for the River Hawks
Prd Time  Team Score Type Scored By Assists
1st 16:40  UML1-0 EV GW John Edwardh (1)Chris Maniccia/3, Jake Kamrass/1
2nd 4:44  UML2-0 EV A.J. White (2)Terrence Wallin/1, Dylan Zink/4
Scoring 1st 2nd 3rd Final
UMass Lowell  1102
New Hampshire  0000
Shots on Goal 1st 2nd 3rd SOG
UMass Lowell  59216
New Hampshire  1391133
Team Stats and Records  PP PIM SHGF
UMass Lowell (4-1-1)  0/6 4/8 0
New Hampshire (2-3-0)  0/3 6/12 0
UMass Lowell Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 Saves
Kevin Boyle (W, 3-1-1)60:000 1391133
New Hampshire Goaltending MIN GA 1 2 3 Saves
Adam Clark (L, 2-3-0)57:212 48214
Empty Net2:390     

DURHAM, N.H. - The University of New Hampshire men's hockey team recorded a 33-16 shot advantage, but No. 8 UMass Lowell goaltender Kevin Boyle stopped every Wildcat shot to backbone the River Hawks to Friday night's 2-0 win at the Whittemore Center.

UNH is now 2-3-0 overall and 0-1-0 in Hockey East while UML, which received goals from John Edwardh and A.J. White, improved to 4-1-1, 2-0-0.

Adam Clark (Sherwood Park, Alberta) recorded eight of his 14 saves in the second period.

The Wildcats recorded a 13-5 shot advantage in the first period but entered the first intermission trailing 1-0. In the latter half of the stanza, the Wildcats generated a 2-on-1 rush in which Grayson Downing (Abbbottsbord, British Columbia) collected the entry pass in the high slot. He charged toward the right post and his backhander was stopped by Boyle.

One minute later, Shane Eiserman (Newburyport, Mass.) intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and skated diagonally across the high slot to the left circle, where he slowed before firing a slap shot into Boyle's torso.

The River Hawks took a 1-0 lead at 16:40 of the first period when Chris Maniccia's shot from the top of the right circle sailed wide right, but John Edwardh was positioned at the left post to deposit the puck into the open net.

UMass Lowell opened the second period with 1:44 remaining on a power play but the Widcats' penalty kill did not allow a shot.

Zack Kamrass was whistled for hooking and the 'Cats were awarded a penalty shot. Downing skated with speed down the slot and attempted to deke Boyle, but the attempted shot between the leg pads was stopped.

The River Hawks extended the advantage to 2-0 at 4:44 when Terrence Wallin's pass across the slot found A.J. White alone deep in the right circle and White lifted a shot into the open near side of the net.

At 8:30, Downing's pass from the right boards through the neutral zone sprung Matt Willows (Congers, N.Y.) into the offensive zone at the left point. Willows skated into the circle and snapped a shot snared by Boyle.

Two minutes later, Andrew Poturalski (Williamsville, N.Y.) led a rush into the right circle and his wrister was also stopped by Boyle.

With six minutes on the clock and the River Hawks on a power play, Evan Campbell's shot from the inner-left circle ricocheted off the crossbar. Moments after the skater advantage expired at 14:50, a flurry of shots from Kamrass, Maniccia and Chris Forney were all stopped by Clark.

UNH quickly advanced the puck up ice and Harry Quast (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) ripped a shot from the left faceoff dot that caromed off the far post. The puck went to center ice, but the 'Cats reentered the zone and Casey Thrush (Easton, Md.) was stoned at the right doorstep.

Early in the third period, Warren Foegele (Unionville, Ontario) gathered the puck deep on the right side and was stopped by Boyle. Poturalski jammed at the rebound at the right post but he, too, was denied by Boyle.

In the ninth minute, UNH swarmed in the attack zone but Cameron Marks (North Vancouver, British Columbia) twice fired a shot into his teammates in the low slot before his third attempt was blocked by a UML defender at the top of the crease.

Clark was pulled in favor of an extra skater with 2:39 left in regulation. UNH had a lot of possession in the offensive zone, but the River Hawks kept the 'Cats at bay and did not allow a shot until two seconds remained. Boyle stopped that bid off Willows stick to preserve the shutout.

UNH recorded an 11-2 shot advantage in the scoreless third period and a 33-16 edge overall. UMass Lowell was scoreless on six power-play opportunities. The Wildcats had three power plays.

These teams complete the two-game weekend series Nov. 1 (7 p.m.) at Tsongas Center in Lowell, Mass. New Hampshire's next home game is Nov. 7 (7:30 p.m.) against Michigan State.