Senior forward Steve Morra scored the game-tying goal for the Huskies

ORONO, Me. - The University of Maine men's ice hockey team skated to a 4-4 draw with Northeastern University on Saturday night at Alfond Arena. After scoring eight goals in the first 25:44 of the game, neither team was able to get the go ahead goal the remainder of regulation or during overtime, despite several magnificent chances.

Northeastern opened the scoring with a power play goal from Cody Ferriero at 8:12 of the first period. Colton Saucerman and Vinny Saponari teamed up to find Ferriero, who beat Maine goalie Martin Ouellette (St.-Hippolyte, Quebec). For Ferriero, it was his 11th goal of the season.

Maine tied the game at 1-1 at 11:09 of the first period. Devin Shore (Ajax, Ontario) got the gained control of the puck in the defensive zone. He found Joey Diamond (Long Beach, N.Y.), who fed Ryan Lomberg (Richmond Hill, Ontario). His shot snuck between Northeastern goalie Chris Rawlings and the goal post. For Lomberg, it was his seventh goal of the season.

Adam Shemansky (Robbinsville, N.J.) gave the Black Bears a 2-1 lead at 14:03 of the first period with a shot just outside the crease. Stu Higgins (Troy, Mich.) and Ben Hutton (Prescott, Ontario) each assisted on the goal.

Saucerman tied the game at 2-2 with just 12 seconds remaining in the first period with a power play goal from Ferriero and Saponari on a tic-tac play. The Huskies took the lead when Saucerman scored just 17 seconds into the third period, still on the power play from Adam Reid and Saponari.

The Black Bears tied the game at 3-3 at 4:13 of the second period. Diamond got the puck to Lomberg, who was stationed to Rawlings' left. He redirected the puck to Steven Swavely (Reading, Pa.), who had his shot go off a Northeastern defender and into the goal.

Mike Cornell (Franklin, Mass.) gave the Black Bears the lead once again at 5:12 of the second when his shot from the blueline eluded Rawlings and found the back of the net. Higgins and Kyle Beattie (Avondale, Ariz.) each assisted on the goal, which was the third of the season for Cornell.

Northeastern wasted little time getting the equalizer. Zak Stone fed Steve Morra just 32 second later and he was able to beat Ouellette for his third goal of the season.

That was it for the scoring, as neither team solved the other netminder the remainder of the game. Maine finished the game with a 51-39 edge in shots on goal. The Black Bears were 3-for-6 on the power play, while Northeatern finished 3-for-7.

Martin Ouellette tied his career high with 35 saves. He moves to 8-10-7. Chris Rawlings made 13 saves in 25:12. Bryan Mountain replaced Rawlings and he stopped all 34 shots that he faced. He moves to 1-7-3.

Maine moves to 10-17-7 on the season and 6-12-7 in Hockey East play. The seven wins ties a school record for wins in a season. Northeastern moves to 9-19-4 overall, 5-16-4 in conference play.

Before and after the game, Maine honored seniors Mark Nemec (Rouses Point, N.Y.), Nick Pryor (St. Paul, Minn.), Klas Leidermark (Gavle, Sweden), Cornell, Beattie, Shemansky and Diamond.