BOSTON - Senior co-captain Jesse Compher collected two goals and one assist to lead the Boston University women's ice hockey team to a 4-1 win over Vermont on Saturday night at Walter Brown Arena.
BU (5-4-0, 5-4-0 HE) tallied two goals in the second period and two more in the final 20 minutes to erase an early 1-0 deficit and split the weekend series with Vermont (6-2-0, 6-2-0 HE). Compher factored on both second-period strikes, providing the primary helper on junior Mackenna Parker's tying goal before scoring the eventual game-winner off a brilliant feed from freshman Catherine Foulem. Parker later assisted on senior co-captain Nara Elia's goal 10 seconds into the final frame before Compher sealed the victory with a late empty-netter.
Junior Kate Stuart was excellent between the pipes for BU, stopping 27 of the 28 shots she faced. Stuart made 19 saves over the final 40 minutes to preserve the victory.
In addition to Compher and Parker's multi-point efforts, sophomore Nadia Mattivi chipped in a pair of assists for her second career two-point performance. Freshman Tamara Giaquinto notched her first collegiate point with an assist on Parker's goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Vermont opened the scoring 3:36 into the contest and held a 1-0 advantage through 20 minutes.
- Parker tied the game just 1:31 into the second stanza. Giaquinto gathered the puck at center ice and pushed it ahead to Compher, who then cycled it behind the net for Parker. The junior curled to the bottom of the left circle and uncorked a wrister that beat Jesse McPherson (23 saves) for her third strike of the campaign.
- Stuart made a terrific stop midway through the period on a 2-on-1 bid to keep the game tied, as she stoned Olivia Kilberg from point-blank range.
- Compher gave BU a 2-1 lead at 12:44 of the period. Mattivi gained the UVM blue line and dropped the puck back for Compher, whose shot was turned aside. Foulem quickly retrieved the rebound behind the net and sent a no-look pass to Compher, who one-timed the puck past McPherson for her fourth goal of the season.
- Elia extended the lead to 3-1 just 10 seconds into the third period. Parker forced a turnover in the left faceoff circle and got off a shot that McPherson stopped. Elia was in perfect position to knock home the rebound, however, for her second strike of the year.
- The Catamounts pulled McPherson in favor of an extra attacker with just over two minutes remaining in regulation, but BU held strong defensively before Compher collected an insurance goal with less than 10 seconds to play.
- BU held Vermont to an 0-for-2 mark on the power play, extending its streak of successful kills to 22 straight.
- The Terriers boast the best penalty kill in the country at 96.6% (28-of-29).
- Stuart has posted a 0.50 goals-against average and a .981 save percentage over her last two starts.
- Compher leads the Terriers in goals (5) and is tied with junior Courtney Correia for the team lead in points (8).
- This was Parker's first two-point game since she notched two assists against UConn on Feb. 21, 2020.
- Mattivi's other two-point performance came in a 6-0 win over Boston College on Dec. 6, 2019.
- The Terriers will learn their next opponent on Tuesday (Feb. 16).