BURLINGTON, Vt. - A three-goal first period fueled the Vermont Catamounts (2-0-2, 0-0-0 HEAW) in a 5-2 victory over the St. Lawrence Saints (1-3-2, 0-0-0 ECAC) on Friday night at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
"I'm really proud of what this group has done in this young season," said head coach Jim Plumer. "We are playing well in all phases of the game and it's very satisfying to be scoring regularly. I'm excited to see us continue our strong play next weekend."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Vermont jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first 12 minutes of the game on goals by Lily Humphrey and Maude Poulin-Labelle. Humphrey struck just 4:07 into the game on her second goal of the series.
- Poulin-Labelle netted her first of the season on the power play with 8:19 left in the opening frame.
- St. Lawrence responded with a power-play goal by Anna Segedi, but Vermont rookie Hailey Burns answered 33 seconds later with her first collegiate goal.
- Maude Poulin-Labelle expanded the Catamounts' lead to three goals when she tallied her second marker of the game with 12:25 left in the second period.
- The Saints' Kayla Vespa added her third goal of the season before the second period expired, but Kristina Shanahan put the game officially out of reach with an empty-net goal in the final seconds of the game.
- The Catamounts beat the Saints for the first time in program history with the Friday night victory.
- Vermont starts the 2019-20 season with a four-game unbeaten streak, which is the longest to start a season since the 2007-08 campaign.
- With the victory, the Cats Win, Community Wins campaign and Vermont Mutual Insurance Group will donate $100 to Make-A-Wish Vermont; bringing this year's total to 69 wins and $6,900.
Vermont returns to Gutterson Fieldhouse for Rally Against Cancer Night, presented by Inspired Closets, on Friday (Oct. 18) against the New Hampshire Wildcats.