BURLINGTON, Vt. - Kristina Shanahan and Ali O'Leary both registered two-point games as the Vermont Catamounts (1-0-2, 0-0-0 HEAW) skated to a 2-2 tie against the St. Lawrence Saints (1-2-2, 0-0-0 ECAC) in the 2019-20 home opener on Thursday night at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
"This was a good outing against a quality opponent," said head coach Jim Plumer. "Obviously we wish we could've finished this off, but I think there continues to be a lot of positives with this team and I'm looking forward to seeing how we respond tomorrow night."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Vermont struck first when Lily Humphrey scored her first collegiate goal with 9:09 left in the opening frame. The rookie forward received a pass from Shanahan and split the St. Lawrence defense before firing a shot through the pads of Lucy Morgan (22 saves). O'Leary was credited with the secondary assist on the goal, which came on a power play.
- The Catamounts continued on the offensive as they outshot the Saints 7-2 for the remainder of the first period.
- Shanahan netted her first goal of the season 1:17 into the second period on a nifty 3-on-2 rush by the Catamounts. Maude Poulin-Labelle sent a pass to O'Leary who directed the puck under an SLU defender's stick for Shanahan to chip over the glove of Morgan.
- Saint Lawrence found the back of the net before the midway point of the game when Kayla Vespa buried a rebound for her second goal of the season. Shailynn Snow and Anna Segedi assisted on the tally that brought the Saints to within one. The Saints then got the equalizer with 11:25 left in the third period as Sophie Holden snuck a shot through heavy traffic past Blanka kodová (20 saves).
- The shots on goal totals were even in overtime at one apiece. Both Vermont and St. Lawrence fired three shot attempts in the extra frame.
- Vermont's power play goal puts them at 36.4% (4-11) this season for the sixth-highest rate in the country.
The Catamounts close out the two-game series with St. Lawrence on Friday (Oct. 11) at Gutterson Fieldhouse.