HAMDEN, Conn. - The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the Quinnipiac Bobcats, 3-2, in Hamden, Conn. on Saturday, Oct. 5. Providence scored three unanswered goals, after going down 2-0 in the second period, to prevail 3-2. Freshman Bailey Burton (Bloomington, Minn.) scored the game-winner with 1:01 remaining in the third period for her second career goal in as many games.
Providence - 3 | Quinnipiac - 2
Providence: 1-1-0 | Quinnipiac: 1-1-0
Frank Perrotti Jr. Arena | Hamden, Conn.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
-Quinnipiac jumped in front with 9:45 on the clock in the first period. Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) was called for hooking as the Bobcats scored with 39 seconds remaining on the power play. Brooke Bonsteel played the puck to Sarah Coutu-Godbout behind the net, Coutu-Godbout faced the opposite way before putting a wraparound goal past Clare Minnerath (Sartell, Minn.).
- Minnerath posted six saves in the opening period while the Friars were outshot 8-1.
- Providence regained control of the game in the middle frame, outshooting the Bobcats, 13-7. Quinnipiac built a 2-0 lead after scoring eight minutes into the second period, before Providence scored two unanswered to close the middle stanza. Taylor House put a wrist shot over Minnerath's right shoulder from the right edge of the crease to go up 2-0 at the 13:34 mark.
- Annelise Rice (Excelsior, Minn.) brought the deficit within one, 2-1, 8:12 into the second period. Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) passed the puck to Neve Van Pelt (Mitchell, Ontario) who was positioned behind the net. Van Pelt fed Rice on the inside edge of the right circle that she finished over the goaltender's shoulder.
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) scored the equalizer with seven seconds remaining in the second period. Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) tallied one of her two assists on the day feeding Murphy from behind the net, Murphy one-timed her shot over the left shoulder of Ives.
- The Friars found the game-winner with 1:01 remaining in the final period. Rickard played the puck up the left wall to Hjalmarsson, Hjalmarsson ripped a wrist shot off the goaltender's pad that Burton finished home.
- Rickard recorded a team-high two points while Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) put a team-high six shots on net.
- Minnerath improves to 1-1-0 on the season after posting 19 saves between the pipes.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Quinnipiac) - 9:45/1st - PP - Sarah Coutu-Godbout (Bonsteel) - Wraparound snuck in past Minnerath's outstretched leg
2-0 (Quinnipiac) - 6:26/2nd - EV - Taylor House (Adzija, Hoskin) - Wrist shot popped over Minnerath's right shoulder from the right edge of the crease
2-1 (Providence) - 8:12/2nd - EV - Annelise Rice (Dove, Van Pelt) - Wrist shot from the bottom of the right circle bar down
2-2 (Providence) - 19:53/2nd - EV - Maureen Murphy (Rickard) One-timer in front of the net to the top right corner
3-2 (Providence) - 18:59/3rd - EV - Bailey Burton (Hjalmarsson, Rickard) - Rebound on the edge of the right circle after Sara
Providence: Clare Minnerath - 19 saves, 2 goal against
Quinnipiac: Abbie Ives - 19 saves, 3 goals against
Power plays: 0-1 (0%)
Penalty kill: 2-3 (66%)
Power plays: 1-3 (33%)
Penalty kill: 1-1 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Hjalmarsson (6)
Goals: Burton, Murphy, Rice (1)
Assists: Rickard (2)
Points: Rickard (2)
The Friars will travel to Bemidji, Minn. to play a two-game series against Bemidji State on Friday, Oct. 11 and Saturday, Oct. 12. Puck drop is scheduled for 4:07 and 3:07, respectively.