BURLINGTON, Vt. - Skylar Fontaine scored the clinching goal for Northeastern (20-3-1, 17-2-0 HEAW) 3:35 into the game to defeat Vermont (9-11-6, 6-9-4 HEAW) 4-0 on Friday night at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
"Our opponent was better than us tonight and there haven't been many games this season that we can say that," head coach Jim Plumer said. "We simply have to manage the puck and situations better. We need to be better in virtually every aspect of the game tomorrow."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Huskies struck first in the opening minutes on a slap shot by Fontaine. Alina Mueller found the defenseman at the top of the zone where she quickly delivered a slap shot past Natalie Ferenc (32 saves). Jess Schryver had the secondary assist on the goal, which came 3:35 into the game.
- Theresa Schafzahl tested Aerin Frankel (16 saves) minutes later when she fired a low shot that forced the NU goaltender to stretch out and make a glove save.
- Tessa Ward doubled the Northeastern lead early in the second period when she received a pass from just outside the crease and snuck a shot under the pads of Ferenc. Katie Cipra sent the pass from behind the goal and Peyton Anderson had the secondary assist.
- Anderson registered her second point of the night when she scored 4:50 into the third period. The forward wristed a shot from the slot while on the rush for her fourth goal of the season. Brooke Tucker and Ward assisted on the marker.
- Cipra added a goal with 3:49 remaining when she jammed home a loose puck. Anderson and Ward picked up their second assists of the night.
- The Catamounts supported the Headway Foundation by making the New Tough pact earlier this week. Following tonight's game, Vermont posed in front of the Headway Foundation banner to help raise concussion awareness.
The Catamounts and Huskies meet again on Saturday (Jan. 25) at 4 p.m.