PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women's hockey team tied the Maine Black Bears at home, 2-2, on Friday, Jan. 7 at Schneider Arena. Providence led 2-1 entering the second period before the Black Bears found the equalizer with just over four minutes remaining in the middle stanza.
Providence - 2 | Maine - 2
Providence - 15-10-4 (12-8-2 HEAW) | Maine - 11-12-7 (7-10-6 HEAW)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Maine took a 1-0 lead with just over four minutes left in the opening period. The Black Bears used a three-on-two rush before passing the puck across the crease starting at the top of the left circle, Liga Milijone converted on the far post for her ninth goal of the season.
- The Friars used two goals in the final two minutes to build a 2-1 lead at the first intermission. Isabelle Hardy (Oakville, Ontario) connected on the first goal for her fourth of the season and third goal in the last five games. Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) played the puck up the left boards to Hayley Lunny (Bedford, N.Y.), Lunny led the two-on-one rush before dishing the puck to Hardy who finished a wrist shot from the bottom of the right circle to the top left corner of the cage. Fransoo earned her 12th assist of the season while Lunny picked up her ninth assist.
- Neve Van Pelt (Mitchell, Ontario) notched her sixth goal of the season with just 23 seconds left in the first period. Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) picked off a pass in the defensive zone before skating up the length of the ice and feeding Van Pelt for a backhand finish. The assist marked Rickard's ninth of the season.
- Providence held an 11-7 advantage in shots at the conclusion of the first period.
- The Black Bears leveled the game at 2-2 with 3:43 left in the middle frame. Ciara Barone (North Tonawanda, N.Y.) put Maine on the power play for a slash before Celene Tedenby finished a backhand shot from the inside edge of the right circle past the outstretched leg of Sandra Abstreiter (Freising, Germany).
- Abstreiter posted 16 saves through 40 minutes of play.
- Providence posted 12 shots on net in the third period compared to Maine's six shots but neither team could find the game-winning goal. The Friars outshot the Black Bears in the overtime frame, 3-1.
- This marks the second consecutive tie for Providence, the team's only two ties in league play.
- Providence is now 15-10-4 on the season with a 12-8-2 conference mark.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Maine) - 15:20/1st - EV - Liga Milijone (MacLean, Kuoppala) - Pass across the creaser finished far post
1-1 (Providence) - 18:03/1st - EV - Isabelle Hardy (Lunny, Fransoo) - Wrist shotacross the crease to the top left corner
2-1 (Providence) - 19:37/1st - EV - Neve Van Pelt (Rickard) - Backhand finish
over the goaltender's left shoulder
2-2 (Maine) - 16:27/2nd - PP - Celine Tedenby (Milijone, MacLean) - Backhand shot from the inside of the right circle to the bottom right corner of the net
Sandra Abstreiter (Providence) - 23 saves, 2 goals against
Carly Jackson (Maine) - 33 saves, 2 goals against
Power plays: 0-3
Penalty kill: 3-4
Power plays: 1-4
Penalty kill: 3-3
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Hardy, Van Pelt (1)
Assists: Fransoo, Lunny, Rickard (1)
Points: Five players (1)
Shots: Dove (6)
Providence will host Maine for the series finale on Saturday, Feb. 8. Puck drop is schedule for 2:00 p.m.