MANKATO, Minn. -The Merrimack women's ice hockey team fell short in the second game against the Minnesota State Mavericks on Saturday, taking a 5-3 loss in Mankato.
Score: Minnesota State 5, Merrimack 3
Records: Merrimack (2-7-2, 0-5-2 HEAW) | Minnesota State (6-4-2, 2-4-2 WCHA)
Location: Verizon Center | Mankato, Minn.
How It Happened
- Senior Mikyla Grant-Mentis scored in her fifth straight game in the opening minutes of the second period, as Merrimack scored the first goal of the game.
- Mankato responded with a pair of goals in three minutes, taking a 2-1 lead in the first period.
- Captain Chloe Cook tied the game again before the end of the period, firing off a power play tally before the end of the first.
- The Mavericks tallied the only goal of the second period for the only tally of the middle period. Minnesota State expanded the lead at 10:36 of the third to take a 4-2 lead.
- Katie Kaufman, a Minnesota native, got Merrimack back into the game with a great takeaway in the high slot for an unassisted goal with five minutes to play in the game. The Warriors push wasn't enough, as MSU added an empty net goal to finish the night.
Notes & Numbers
- Lea-Kristine Demers made 22 saves in her return to the net.
- Six different players earned a point for Merrimack, with Julia MacLean, Gabby Jones and Kate Bukolska adding helpers in the non-conference tilt.
- Goaltenders: Lea-Kristine Demers (22 saves, 1-6-2) // Calla Frank (20 saves, 3-2-1)
- Power Plays: 1-6 | 0-2
- Shots on Goal: 10-17 // 4-5 // 9-5 - 23-27
- Faceoffs: 23 // 29
- Blocks: 13 // 14
Merrimack will return home for another Hockey East contest as Maine comes to town for a single game on Friday, November 8 with puck drop at 2 p.m.