BURLINGTON, Vt. - Maude Poulin-Labelle registered the first hat trick by a defenseman in program history as the Vermont Catamounts (4-1-4, 1-1-2 HEAW) defeated the visiting Dartmouth Big Green (0-2-0, 0-1-0 ECAC) on Tuesday night at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
"This team plays so well together that even on a day when we aren't at our best, we can find ways to win," said head coach Jim Plumer. "It's so clear that they enjoy playing together and I'm excited to see what this group can accomplish. Congrats to Maude Poulin-Labelle on her hat trick - an amazing feat for a defenseman."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It took only 3:44 for Vermont to take the lead when Poulin-Labelle notched her fourth goal of the season. The sophomore defender received a pass from Val Caldwell on the power play and circled the Dartmouth net before wristing a shot under the glove of Hannah Humphreys (27 saves). Theresa Schafzahl also assisted on the opening goal.
- Dartmouth tied the game before the midway point of the opening frame on a goal by Catherine Trevors, but UVM captain Ève-Audrey Picard responded with her second of the season 18 seconds later. Lily Humphrey and Emma Katzman earned assists on the go-ahead goal.
- Poulin-Labelle added her second marker of the game with 58 seconds left in the first period. Picard tallied her second point of the night with the helper on Poulin-Labelle's goal. Schafzahl was credited with the secondary assist.
- Dartmouth and Vermont skated to a scoreless second period with the Catamounts holding a 8-5 advantage in shots on goal.
- Gabby Billing pulled Dartmouth to within one at 4:46 of the third period when she collected a pass from Jennifer Costa and snapped a shot over the shoulder of Natalie Ferenc (17 saves).
- Poulin-Labelle completed the hat trick with an empty-netter in the final seconds of regulation. Schafzahl and Lilly Holmes assisted on the marker.
- Poulin-Labelle's hat trick is also the 16th in program history and the first by a Catamount since February 2, 2018.
- With the victory, the Cats Win, Community Wins campaign and Vermont Mutual Insurance Group will donate $100 to Make-A-Wish Vermont; bringing this year's total to 87 wins and $8,700.
Vermont returns to action on Friday (Nov. 9) when they travel to Durham, New Hampshire to close out the regular-season series with the UNH Wildcats. Puck drop at the Whittemore Center is slated for 6 p.m.