BURLINGTON, Vt. - Theresa Schafzahl registered her second two-goal game of the season, but Vermont (9-14-7, 6-12-5 HEAW) fell to UConn (15-12-2, 12-8-2 HEAW) 4-2 in the seventh annual Pack the Gut game on Saturday afternoon. There were 1,163 fans in attendance at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
"UConn was opportunistic tonight and that continues to plague us," said head coach Jim Plumer. "I want to thank everyone who came out to support us for Pack the Gut today and hope you come back out to support us tomorrow. I still believe our team has the opportunity to finish the season strong and I expect that to start tomorrow."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Huskies opened the scoring 8:24 into the game on Natalie Snodgrass' 11th goal of the season. Catherine Crawley sent a pass that sprung the forward on a partial breakaway. Snodgrass faked to the right before lifting a shot over the outstretched pads of Natalie Ferenc (13 saves).
- UVM answered minutes later with Schafzahl's first goal of the night. Maude Poulin-Labelle dished the puck to the sophomore forward in the high slot where she wired a wrist shot past Samantha Carpentier-Yelle (30 saves). Sini Karjalainen also assisted on the power-play goal.
- UConn scored twice in the first 10 minutes of the second period. Briana Colangelo picked up the puck behind the Vermont net and extended for a wraparound goal 5:14 into the frame. Catherine Crawley netted her 12th of the season minutes later from the right of the Catamount goal.
- Vermont pushed back in the third period, outshooting UConn 16-2. Schafzahl recorded her second of the game with a blistering shot from the top of the circle. Poulin-Labelle and Kristina Shanahan assisted on the marker that pulled UVM to within one.
- The Huskies struck 1:56 later to retake a two-goal lead. Emily Reid provided the insurance goal with assists from Viki Harkness and Leona Sim.
- The Cats swarmed around the UConn zone and nearly cut the lead in the late minutes. Poulin-Labelle one-timed a shot from just outside the crease, but Carpentier-Yelle turned the attempt away.
- Poulin-Labelle's two assists gave her 27 points on the season, which ties a single-season record for most by a UVM blueliner. Dayna Colang '16 set the mark in the 2013-14 season.
Vermont and UConn return to action on Sunday (Feb. 9) at Gutterson Fieldhouse. Puck drop is slated for 2 p.m. Tickets are available for purchase at UVMAthletics.com/Tickets or at the box office on gameday.