STORRS, Conn. - The Merrimack women's ice hockey team pressed a consistent effort, earning a 2-1 win against the UConn Huskies on the road Saturday afternoon.
Score: Merrimack 2, Connecticut 1
Records: Merrimack (5-22-5, 2-18-5 HEAW) | Connecticut (16-13-4, 12-11-3 HEAW)
Location: Freitas Ice Forum | Storrs, Conn.
How It Happened
- Team skated scoreless in the first period, as goaltender Lea-Kristine Demers turned aside 15 shots by UConn-the most she would face in the game.
- Senior captain Chloe Cook gave Merrimack the lead, handling a pass across the high slot from Rachel Rockwell, and used the defender as a screen before firing in a quick snapshot for a 1-0 lead.
- Merrimack doubled its lead at 9:16 of the third, as Katie Kaufman capitalized on a 3-on-2 as she crashed the slot-handling a feed from Mikyla Grant-Mentis through a sliding goaltender to make it 2-0.
- UConn would get on the board at 13:07 as Natalie Snodgrass jumped on a broken play in the crease for the 2-1 final.
Notes & Numbers
- Grant-Mentis had a two point night and is now holding a three game point scoring streak, with six points during that stretch.
- Kaufman was named the game's first star for her game winning goal, with Demers named the third star for her stellar effort in net.
- Goaltenders: Lea-Kristine Demers (27 saves, 4-16-5) // Morgan Fisher (14 saves, 9-11-2)
- Power Plays: 0-2 | 0-4
- Shots on Goal: 6-15 // 3-5 // 7-8- 16-38
- Faceoffs: 24 // 35
- Blocks: 6 // 5
Merrimack returns home for Senior Night on Friday, February 21 to take on No. 3 Northeastern at Lawler Rink with puck drop at 6 p.m. before finishing the season at Northeastern on Saturday, February 22 with game time at Matthews Arena set for 2 p.m.