BURLINGTON, Vt. - Nara Elia's goal with 2:06 left in overtime lifted the Boston University Terriers (9-4-1, 4-4-2 HEAW) 3-2 over the Vermont Catamounts (5-4-5, 2-4-3 HEAW) on Saturday afternoon at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
"There's no way to sugarcoat the disappointment of losing another game late, or in overtime," said head coach Jim Plumer. "This team battled hard, but we have to fight our way through this habit of finding a way to lose game that we're in a position to win. Our special teams need to be better tomorrow."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Nadia Mattivi registered her first career goal to open the scoring for the Terriers. The rookie defender received a pass from Kristina Schuler and fired a slap shot through traffic on the power play. Deziray De Sousa was credited with the secondary assist.
- Natalie Ferenc (24 saves) made a pair of key stops in the opening frame, which included a breakaway attempt in the final seconds of the period.
- Ferenc made another timely save at 4:51 of the second period when she stopped BU's Jesse Compher on a shorthanded breakaway. However, Compher got another opportunity on a 2-on-1 a minute later and buried a one-timer for a two-goal lead.
- Val Caldwell netted her fifth goal of the season with 8:07 left in the middle frame to cut the deficit. Corinne McCool pick-pocketed a BU defender and found Caldwell alone in the slot where she wristed a shot past Kate Stuart (35 saves).
- Ali O'Leary tied the game with 6:29 left in regulation as the Catamounts put substantial pressure on the Terriers. The senior captain roofed a shot from the slot for her second tally of the season. McCool and Sini Karjalainen were credited with assists on the tying goal.
- Vermont nearly clinched the game in overtime when Theresa Schafzahl received a pass from just outside the slot, but was denied by Stuart. BU rushed up the ice minutes later to spark Elia's winning goal.
- McCool's two assists give her 13 points on the season. The sophomore has accrued 18 points in her last 20 collegiate games.
The Catamounts host Boston University again on Sunday (Nov. 24) at 2 p.m. Tickets for the game can be purchased through UVMAthletics.com/Tickets or at the Gutterson Fieldhouse Box Office on gameday.