PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women's hockey team defeated No. 8 Boston University, 2-1, in Schneider Arena on Friday, Jan. 10. Annelise Rice (Excelsior, Minn.) recorded her first multi-point game of the season to lead the Friars with two assists. Providence improves to 11-8-2 on the season and 8-6-0 in the Hockey East.
Providence - 2 | No. 8 Boston University - 1
Providence - 11-8-2 (8-6-0 HEAW) | Boston University - 13-5-2 (8-5-3 HEAW)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
-The game remained scoreless until Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) connected on her second goal of the season to give the Friars a 1-0 lead 16:30 into the first period. Providence earned a 5-on-3 advantage after the Terriers were called for hooking followed by a high-sticking penalty just a minute later. Fransoo traded passes with Lauren DeBlois (Lewiston, Maine) at the top of the circles before Fransoo fired a wrister over the goaltender's right shoulder. Annelise Rice (Excelsior, Minn.) was credited with the secondary assist.
- Providence converted on one of its two power play chances while skating to a clean first period.
- Providence increased its lead to 2-0 late in the second period on Hayley Lunny's (Bedford, N.Y.) seventh goal of the season. The Friars turned over the Terriers at the blue line before feeding Lunny on the doorstep, Lunny deked the goaltender before going five-hole. Neve Van Pelt (Mitchell, Ontario) and Rice were credited with the assists.
- Sandra Abstreiter (Freising, Germany) earned the start in net and tallied 18 saves through at the second intermission. The Terriers held a 18-15 advantage in shots through the first 40 minutes.
- Boston University cut into the lead 17:55 into the third period with an extra attacker on a delayed penalty to make it a 2-1 game in favor of Providence. Abby Cook connected on a slap shot from the slot.
- Providence held on for the remainder of the game for the 2-1 victory. The Friars improve to 2-1 this season on home ice against ranked opponents.
- Abstreiter improves to 3-3-0 on the season, she tallied a career-high 29 saves in the win.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 16:30/1st - 5-on-3 - Avery Fransoo (DeBlois, Rice) - Wrist shot between the circles.
2-0 (Providence) - 13:19/2nd - EV - Hayley Lunny (Van Pelt, Rice) - One-on-one tucked five-hole.
2-1 (Boston University) - 17:55/3rd - 6-on-5 - Abby Cook (Wuthrich, Elia) - One-timer from the slot.
Sandra Abstreiter (Providence) - 29 saves, 1 goal against
Corinne Schroeder (Boston) - 26 saves, 2 goals against
Power plays: 1-4
Penalty kill: 2-2
Boston University -
Power plays: 0-2
Penalty kill: 3-4
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Fransoo, Lunny (1)
Assists: Rice (2)
Points: Rice (2)
Shots: Fransoo (5)
Providence will play Boston University on the road to complete the home-and-home series on Saturday, Jan. 11 at 3:00 p.m.