BOSTON - The No. 8 Boston University women's ice hockey team scored twice in the third period to earn a 3-3 tie with Maine on Sunday afternoon at Walter Brown Arena.
BU (13-4-2, 8-4-2 HEAW) earned three points this weekend against Maine (8-10-3, 4-8-2) despite falling behind, 3-0, just 7:04 into the game. Sophomore Courtney Correia cut the deficit to 3-1 late in the opening frame before freshman Nadia Mattivi and redshirt senior co-captain Sammy Davis each lit the lamp in the third period to even the score.
Junior Jesse Compher and senior Abby Cook each collected two assists while Davis also had a helper to complete a two-point afternoon. Sophomore Alex Allan contributed an assist for the second straight game and junior goaltender Corinne Schroeder made 14 saves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Maine scored three times in a span of 3:19 to take a 3-0 lead.
- Correia responded with her third goal of the season at 15:41 of the stanza. Allan fed the puck across the top of the Maine zone to Cook, who then sent it down low to Correia at the bottom of the right circle. Correia sent the puck on cage and despite the tough angle she got it past Carly Jackson (32 saves).
- The score remained 3-1 until Mattivi's second strike of the season at 6:41 of the third period. Mattivi had just entered the offensive zone when Compher dished the puck to her at the right point. Mattivi took one stride and then uncorked a shot that whistled past Jackson.
- Davis equalized on a power play with 11:58 to play in regulation thanks to a terrific cross-zone pass by Compher.
- BU thought it took the lead with 2:15 remaining in regulation when the puck appeared to have crossed the goal line following a scrum at the crease. It was ruled no goal by the officials, and after video review, the call on the ice was confirmed.
- The Terriers earned a power-play opportunity halfway through overtime but they were unable to convert despite registering three shots on goal.
- The Terriers extended their unbeaten to seven games (6-0-1).
- Compher (6g, 9a) and Davis (4g, 7a) each extended their point streaks to seven games.
- This was just the second time all season that Schroeder allowed three goals.
- Correia (1g, 1a), Mattivi (1g, 1a) and Allan (2a) each recorded a point in each game this weekend.
- BU will travel to Providence on Friday, Jan. 10, to begin a home-and-home series with the Friars.
- Puck drop is set for 6 p.m.