BOSTON, Mass. - Senior co-captain Natasza Tarnowski and freshman Julia Nearis each found the back of the net as the No. 10 Boston University women's ice hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie with Merrimack on Friday night at Walter Brown Arena.
BU (1-0-1, 0-0-1 HEAW) got on the board first thanks to Nearis' first collegiate goal. Merrimack (2-2-1, 0-2-1 HEAW) tallied twice in the first frame to gain a 2-1 lead, but Tarnowski equalized in the second stanza to secure a point for the Terriers.
Sophomores Mackenna Parker and Kaleigh Donnelly each provided an assist, as did junior Kristina Schuler and redshirt senior co-captain Sammy Davis. Junior Corinne Schroeder turned aside 21 shots, including the final 11 she faced over the final 40 minutes.
Prior to the game, BU honored its 2019 Beanpot championship squad by raising a new Beanpot banner to the Walter Brown rafters. 2019 graduates Reagan Rust and Mary Grace Kelley were on hand for the ceremony. The Terriers also recognized members of the 1981 team that brought BU its first-ever Women's Beanpot title.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Nearis notched the first goal of the game 11:38 into the proceedings. Schuler forced a Warrior turnover at their blue line and carried the puck into the offensive zone before dishing to Parker in the slot. Lea-Kristine Demers slowed down Parker's shot, but Nearis pounced on the rebound that crept through the netminder's pads and deposited the goal.
- The Warriors answered at 16:02 of the first with a power-play strike before taking the lead with 1:02 remaining in the period.
- Tarnowski evened the score just 4:53 into the second stanza. Davis won a battle at the Merrimack blue line and dumped the puck off the end wall. Tarnowski, fresh off the bench, won a race to the puck which had caromed off the boards and towards the crease. The senior knocked home the loose puck for her first goal of the season.
- Both goaltenders kept clean sheets the rest of the way, though both squads had chances to regain the lead.
- Nearis nearly had the winner late in the third period when she fired a shot from the faceoff circle, but Demers kicked aside the shot.
- Davis and Donnelly have both recorded a point in each game this season.
- The Terriers outshot the Warriors, 35-23, and recorded 11 shots in each regulation period.
- BU and Merrimack have skated to a draw in three of their last four meetings.
- The Terriers will travel to New Hampshire on Saturday afternoon.
- Puck drop is set for 3 p.m.