BOSTON, Mass. - Boston University women's ice hockey head coach Brian Durocher won his 300th career game when the No. 8 Terriers defeated Holy Cross, 4-1, on Friday night at Walter Brown Arena.
Durocher, who became the 15th Division I women's hockey coach to reach 300 wins, ranks 10th all-time among active head coaches in that category and is the 11th women's hockey coach to win 300 games at the same institution. He has been at the helm of the Boston University program for all 15 seasons.
"I want to congratulate Brian on an incredible accomplishment," director of athletics Drew Marrochello said. "He built our women's hockey program into a nationally prominent and respected program and sustained a tremendous level of success over the last 15 years. More importantly, however, Brian has impacted hundreds of student-athletes off the ice and is a terrific ambassador of the university. I look forward to many more victories by Brian and his team."
Senior Deziray De Sousa notched a career-high two goals and sophomore Mackenna Parker matched her career high with two goals of her own. Sophomore Courtney Correia, freshmen Grace Parker and Nadia Mattivi, and juniors Jesse Compher, Nara Elia and Kristina Schuler all added one assist apiece. Junior Corinne Schroeder made 17 saves to help BU improve to 15-5-2 overall and 10-5-2 in league play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Parker opened the scoring 11:28 into the proceedings. Correia forced a turnover behind the Holy Cross cage and immediately found Parker in front for a one-timer that hit the back of the net.
- De Sousa made it 2-0 at the 10:31 mark of the second stanza. Elia did a great job to keep the puck away from a Crusader below the goal line and eventually dished it to De Sousa at the top of the crease for the finish.
- Holy Cross got a goal back just 32 seconds later, but BU needed just 52 seconds to retake its two-goal edge. Mackenna Parker redirected Grace Parker's shot on target and then knocked in her own rebound for her second goal of the contest.
- De Sousa then pushed the lead to 4-1 at 14:22 of the second period. Schuler forced a turnover at center ice and created a 2-on-1 with De Sousa. Jada Brenon (40 saves) made the stop but De Sousa converted the rebound for her second strike of the game.
- In the third period, Schroeder made six saves and Brenon stopped all eight shots she faced to maintain the 4-1 score.
- Elia improved her point streak to three games (1g, 2a) and she has tallied four points (2g, 2a) over the last five games.
- This was Mackenna Parker's fourth career two-goal game; she last scored two goals in the Terriers' 6-0 victory over Boston College on Dec. 6.
- Grace Parker has picked up an assist in each of the last two games.
- Mattivi has notched four points (2g, 2a) over her last four games.
- Eight of Mattivi's nine points this season have come during the last 10 tilts.
- BU and Holy Cross will conclude this weekend's home-and-home series in Worcester on Saturday at 4 p.m.