BEMIDJI, Minn. - The Providence College women's hockey team picked up a 2-2 draw at Bemidji State on Saturday, Oct. 12. Freshman Lauren DeBlois scored her first career goal in a Friar uniform before the Beavers found the equalizer in the third period. Providence will head home after a 1-0-1 weekend in Bemidji, Minn. and now hold a 2-1-1 overall record.
Providence - 2 | Bemidji State - 2 (OT)
Providence: 2-1-1 | Bemidji State: 1-2-1
Sanford Center | Bemidji, Minn.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The opening frame remained even before Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) netted her first goal of the season with 4:07 on the clock, after picking up two assists in the opening three games. Bailey Burton (Bloomington, Minn.) put a backhanded shot on net that trickled onto the goal line, Rickard stuffed home the puck to give providence a 1-0 lead. Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) was credited for the secondary assist.
- Providence and Bemidji State traded goals in the second period to head to the third period with a one-goal cushion. Bemidji State scored one minute into the middle frame to even the game at one goal apiece. Reece Hunt played a backhanded pass at the bottom of the left circle to Haley Mack positioned at the point. Mack finished her shot past Minnerath sliding across the crease.
- Providence responded on a 5-on-3 power play just three minutes later. Clair DeGeorge and Mak Langei of Bemidji State were both called for checking before freshman Lauren DeBlois (Lewiston, Maine) buried her first career goal in a Friar uniform to hand Providence a 2-1 lead. Dove delivered a pass to DeBlois at the top of the right circle that she blasted home with a slap shot. Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) received credit for the secondary assist after feeding Dove at the top of the right circle.
- Haley Mack scored her second goal of the game for the Beavers with 11:19 remaining in the game to tie it at 2-2. Hunt dished Mack on the Friars' blue line before bringing the puck across and firing a wrist shot from the middle of the left circle. The puck trickled off Minnerath and in.
- The Friars outshot the Beavers 4-1 in the overtime period but neither side could find the game-winner.
- Clare Minnerath (Sartell, Minn.) picked up 21 saves in the game and improved to 2-1-1 on the season. She has yet to allow more than two goals in a game this season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 15:53/1st - EV - Meaghan Rickard (Burton, Dove) - Rebound on the goal line stuffed home
1-1 (Bemidji State) - 1:00/2nd - EV - Haley Mack (Hunt, Langei) - One-timer from the point
2-1 (Providence) - 4:31/2nd - PP - Lauren DeBlois (Dove, Murphy) - Slap shot from the top of the right circle
2-2 (Bemidji State) - 8:41/3rd - EV - Haley Mack (Hunt) - Wrist shot from the inside hashmark of the left circle
Providence: Clare Minnerath - 21 saves, 2 goals against
Bemidji State: Lexi Baker - 18 saves, 2 goals against
Power plays: 1-4 (25%)
Penalty kill: 4-4 (100%)
Power plays: 0-4 (0%)
Penalty kill: 3-4 (75%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Six players (2)
Goals: Rickard, DeBlois (2)
Assists: Dove (2)
Points: Dove (2)
The Friars will return home for a four-game homestand beginning with Penn State on Friday, Oct. 18 and Saturday, Oct. 19. Providence will host Northeastern (Oct. 25) and New Hampshire (Oct. 26) the following weekend.