NASHVILLE - Cayla Barnes scored with six minutes to play to pull the No. 8 Boston College women's hockey team within a goal of No. 2 Wisconsin, but the Badgers added an empty net goal with five seconds remaining for a 5-3 win at the Ford Ice Center on Saturday afternoon in the Country Classic.
Wisconsin jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first period, but the Eagles clawed back in the middle frame. Savannah Norcross scored at the 13:05 mark and then Caroline DiFiore made it a one-goal game two minutes later. Maddy McArthur finished the second period with 15 saves for BC.
The Badgers pushed the lead back out to a two-goal margin midway through the final frame, but BC didn't go quietly with McArthur making another 15 stops and Barnes finding the back of the net with six minutes to play. The Eagles had a few looks with an extra attacker on the ice but Wisconsin added the empty-net goal to preserve the win.
McArthur finished with a career-high 43 saves for the Eagles while Kristen Campbell made 20 stops for Wisconsin. BC went 1-for-4 on the power play while Wisconsin was 1-for-3. The Badgers had the 48-23 lead in shots on goal.
No. 2 Wisconsin 5, No. 8 Boston College 3
Friday, Nov. 29, 2019 | 2 p.m. ET
Ford Ice Center | Nashville, Tenn.
1st, 9:10 | 1-0, UW GOAL: After crossing into the offensive zone, a Wisconsin shot from the wing bounced off a BC player and back into the BC net.
1st, 11:43 | 2-0, UW GOAL: Britta Curl caused a turnover in the neutral zone and skated down the left wing before squeaking a shot inside the left post.
1st, 18:42 | 3-0, UW GOAL: On the power play, Abby Roque walked the puck into the left circle and wristed a shot under the crossbar.
2nd, 13:05 | 3-1, BC GOAL: Kelly Browne got the puck deep for BC and then Hannah Bilka picked it up behind the net to center it to Norcross crashing in the crease.
2nd, 15:34 | 3-2, BC GOAL: DiFiore caused a turnover just inside the defensive zone, skated the puck down the right wing and placed a shot just under the crossbar to beat Campbell to the far side.
3rd, 11:18 | 4-2, UW GOAL: Presley Norby fed Delaney Drake near the left post and Drake poked the puck past McArthur.
3rd, 14:05 | 4-3, BC GOAL: On the power play, Browne fed Barnes at the top of the right circle and the defender's slap shot was able to trickle through traffic and over the goal line.
3rd, 19:54 | 5-3, UW GOAL: Wisconsin broke in on a 2-on-1 with Shirley sliding the puck to Daryl Watts for a finish at the right post into the empty net.
- BC now holds an all-time record of 0-7-0 in the series with Wisconsin ... BC is 0-4-0 in neutral-site meetings with the Badgers.
- The Eagles have a mark of 10-23-3 against teams from the WCHA.
- BC is now 71-140-16 all-time against ranked opponents and 2-14-0 against teams ranked second overall.
- This was the second game in the BC-Wisconsin series to finished with a 5-3 score in Wisconsin's favor.
- Maddy McArthur's 43 saves marked a career-high, topping her previous career high of 41 set yesterday against Minnesota.
- BC's power-play tally marked just the sixth one that Wisconsin has allowed this season.
- Savannah Norcross tied her career-high in points with one goal and one assist ... it was the third muti-point game of her career.
- Kelly Browne finished with two points on two assists for her 11th career multi-point game ... she has a team-leading 16 helpers on the year.
- Hannah Bilka added an assist to boost her season point total to 23 on 11 goals and 12 assists ... the rookie has points in 13 out of BC's 17 games.
- Bilka (11-12-23) and Browne (7-16-23) are tied for the team lead in points with 23 each.
Boston College: 11-4-2
Boston College will wrap up the first semester next weekend with a home-and-home series against Boston University.