NASHVILLE - The No. 6 Boston College women's hockey team battled No. 1 Minnesota to a 2-2 tie on Friday afternoon at the Ford Ice Center in the first game of the Country Classic. Delaney Belinskas and Kelly Browne both tallied short-handed goals for BC while Maddy McArthur finished with a career-high 41 saves.
The Eagles took a 1-0 lead 14 minutes into the first period, thanks to a short-handed goal from Belinskas, only to see the Gophers equalize less than a minute later. BC's second short-handed goal of the day from Browne gave the Eagles a 2-1 lead heading into the third period. Minnesota was able to convert on a power-play midway through the period for the 2-2 score line.
Neither team was able to find the back of the net in the five-minute overtime period.
Minnesota had the 43-29 lead in shots on goal while going 1-for-4 on the power play and keeping BC to 0-for-4.
No. 8 Boston College 2, No. 1 Minnesota 2 (OT)
Friday, Nov. 29, 2019 | 2 p.m. ET
Ford Ice Center | Nashville, Tenn.
1st, 14:26 | 1-0, BC GOAL: Maegan Beres blocked a shot in the slot and from the ground, backhanded a pass to Belinskas at the top of the circle. Belinskas evaded a defender to get over the BC blue line and went the length of the ice, drifting to the right dot before firing a shot inside the far post.
1st, 15:20 | 1-1, MINNESOTA GOAL: Taylor Wente and Amy Potomak skated into the offensive zone on a 2-on-1, with Potomak sliding a pass over to Wente for a finish at the right post.
2nd, 15:35 | 2-1, BC GOAL: After a Minnesota shot attempt went through the crease to the boards, Bilka picked up the puck and backhanded the puck off the glass into the neutral zone for Browne to skate on to. Browne carried the puck into the left circle, toe dragged around a sliding defender and then snuck a shot under the crossbar.
3rd, 9:34 | 2-2, MINNESOTA GOAL: On the power-play a puck from Sarah Potomak found Grace Zumwinkle through traffic near the left post, and she was able to stuff it over the goal line.
- BC now holds an all-time record of 1-5-2 in the series with Minnesota ... BC is 0-1-1 in neutral-site meetings.
- The Eagles have a mark of 10-22-3 against teams from the WCHA.
- BC is now 71-139-16 all-time against ranked opponents and 0-16-1 against teams ranked first overall.
- This marked the second time this season that the Eagles have scored two short-handed goals in a game (at Holy Cross on Oct. 3, 2019) ... BC now has a nation-leading six short-handed scores on the year.
- Delaney Belinskas now has three short-handed goals on the year, which ties for the national lead.
- Maddy McArthur finished with a career-high 41 saves, beating her previous best of 33 (done last done at Syracuse on Oct. 25, 2019) ... she made 14 stops in both the second and third periods.
- Maegan Beres picked up her sixth assist of the season ... it was the sixth time this year she has assisted on a Delaney Belinskas goal.
- Beres finished with a game-high seven blocked shots for BC.
Boston College: 11-3-2
Boston College will take on No. 2 Wisconsin tomorrow afternoon in its second game of the Country Classic.