NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. - The Merrimack College women's ice hockey team fell in the opening game of the season at home to Boston College 2-0 on Friday.
Senior Léa-Kristine Demers turned aside 32 saves in the effort, earning a third star honor for the night. Boston College scored on the power play early in the second period, as Savannah Norcross tallied the fourth of her career for the game winner.
Score: Boston College 2, Merrimack 0
Records: Merrimack (0-1-0, 0-1-0 HEA) | Boston College (1-0-0, 1-0-0 HEA)
Location: Lawler Rink | North Andover, Mass.
Game Duration: 2:18
How It Happened
- Merrimack outshot Boston College 12-11 in the first period and controlled most of the play through the opening 20.
- The Eagles made it 1-0 on a power play goal by Savannah Norcross at 16:12 of the second period.
- Boston College sealed the victory with an empty net goal at 19:37 to complete the win.
Notes & Numbers
- Senior Mikyla Grant-Mentis led the team in shots on goal with nine and had two blocked shots.
- Sophomore Gabby Jones and senior captain Chloe Cook were impactful on both ends of the ice, both blocking three shots and combining for four shots on goal.
- Goaltenders: Léa-Kristine Demers (32 saves, 0-1-0), // Maddy McArthur (25 saves, 1-0-0)
- Power Plays: 0-6 | 1-5
- Shots on Goal: 12-11 // 16-4 // 9-7 - 26-34
- Faceoffs: 22 // 27
- Blocks: 17 // 14
The teams return to Lawler Rink tomorrow to finish out the weekend series. Puck drop for the Hockey East contest is 2 p.m.