CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - Lindsay Agnew put up five points on three goals and two assists while Kelly Pickreign made 18 saves for her first career shutout to lead the No. 7/7 Boston College women's hockey team to an 8-0 win over Merrimack on Friday night in the home opener at Kelley Rink.
In addition to Agnew's career-high five points, six other Eagles finished with multiple points while 10 total Eagles found the scoresheet. Delaney Belinskas finished with two goals and Caroline DiFiore added one goal and two assists for three points.
Agnew potted her first goal midway through the first period and then the Eagles erupted for five goals in the second period for a 6-0 cushion after 40 minutes. BC scored twice in the final frame, with Agnew closing out the scoring with a short-handed hat trick goal for the 8-0 score line.
Lea-Kristine Demers finished with 29 saves for Merrimack. BC held the 37-18 edge in shots on goal while going 1-for-3 on the power play and holding Merrimack to 0-for-3.
No. 7/7 Boston College 8, Merrimack 0
Friday, Oct. 18, 2019 | 6 p.m.
Kelley Rink | Chestnut Hill, Mass.
1st, 07:53 | 1-0, BC GOAL: Agnew carried the puck into the right circle and as she hit the bottom, flicked the puck to her forehand for a far post shot that tucked under the crossbar.
2nd, 00:48 | 2-0, BC GOAL: Hannah Bilka drove down the right side of the slot and backhanded a shot on goal. Demers made the initial save but Olivia Finocchiaro poked the puck home at the left post.
2nd, 08:02 | 3-0, BC GOAL: Alexie Guay's point shot was saved through traffic but the rebound fell to the top of the crease and Belinskas skated in and popped the loose puck home.
2nd, 14:09 | 4-0, BC GOAL: Starting a regroup at the BC blue line, Hadley Hartmetz threaded a pass through the zone to Agnew at the red line. The captain carried the puck down the right wing and wristed a shot far post from the face-off dot.
2nd, 14:59 | 5-0, BC GOAL: Belinskas skated into the zone and cut into the high slot. Belinskas used the defender as a screen to fire a shot that squeaked between Demers and the left post.
2nd, 17:37 | 6-0, BC GOAL: Cayla Barnes carried a breakout pass from Agnew up the left wing and into the zone. Barnes wristed her shot to the far post where DiFiore was able to crash and put it past the left pad.
3rd, 07:58 | 7-0, BC GOAL: Skating down the left wing, Agnew ripped a wrist shot that Demers saved but Savannah Norcross was there to slam home the rebound.
3rd, 11:30 | 8-0, BC GOAL: Agnew caused a turnover on the penalty kill and then skated in on Demers before dekeing for a backhand shot at the right post, over the left pad for the short-handed goal.
- BC is now 16-1-0 all-time against Merrimack with a mark of 9-0-0 at Kelley Rink ... the Eagles take the season series at 3-0-0 ... BC has now shutout Merrimack seven times in 17 meetings.
- The Eagles are now 17-8-1 all-time in the home opener and 11-1-1 under head coach Katie Crowley.
Lindsay Agnew's five points on three goals and two assists marked a career-high ... her three goals marked a career-high.
- Agnew's five points marked the first time an Eagle has had five points in a game since Daryl Watts and Makenna Newkirk each had five points in a win at New Hampshire on Jan. 5, 2018.
- Agnew's third goal came on the penalty kill, marking her fifth career short-handed tally ... she is now tied for seventh in program history with Emily Field.
- Kelly Pickreign's shutout was the first of her career ... it was the first shutout at Kelley Rink for BC since Maddy McArthur did it against Holy Cross on Feb. 1, 2019 ... it was the third shutout this season for the Eagles.
- This marks the first time in program history that BC has posted three shutouts in the first five games of a season.
- Seven Eagles total finished with multiple points ... Maegan Beres, Cayla Barnes and Alexie Guay each finished with two assists ... Savannah Norcross added two points on one goal and one assist ... Caroline DiFiore had one goal and two assist for three points.
- Guay's two assists marked her first career multi-point game while DiFiore's three points marked her first career multi-point game as well ... Norcross earned her first career multi-point game with her two points ... this was the third career multi-point game for Beres.
- Belinskas earned her seventh career multi-goal game and 15th career multi-point game.
- Barnes now has nine career multi-point games and six career multi-assist games.
- Hannah Bilka and Hadley Hartmetz each had one assist while Olivia Finocchiaro had one goal.
- With her two helpers, Barnes extended her point streak to five games ... Bilka and Finocchiaro both extended their point streaks to four games.
Merrimack: 2-3-1, 0-3-1 HEA
Boston College: 5-0-0, 4-0-0 HEA
Boston College will travel to Vermont on Sunday for one game against the Catamounts. Puck drop is set for 2 p.m. at Gutterson Fieldhouse.