CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - The Harvard Crimson used a strong first period to top the No. 9/9 Boston College women's hockey team, 7-1, on Tuesday afternoon at Kelley Rink.
The Crimson jumped out to a 3-0 lead midway through the first period and then got the only goal of the middle frame and 17 stops from Lindsay Reed for a four-goal lead at the second intermission. Harvard's fifth goal of the game came early in the third before Maegan Beres got the Eagles on the board with her second of the season. The visitors would tack on two goals after the Beres score for the final of 7-1.
Reed finished with 45 saves for Harvard while Maddy McArthur made four stops, allowing two goals, before giving way to Kelly Pickreign, who finished with 16 saves.
BC had a 46-27 lead in shots on goal while going 0-for-3 on the power play. Harvard was 1-for-3 on the power play.
RV/RV Harvard 7, No. 9/9 Boston College 1
Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2019 | 2 p.m.
Kelley Rink | Chestnut Hill, Mass.
1st, 1:25 | 0-1, HARVARD GOAL: Anne Bloomer carried the puck up the right ring and over the blue line before driving to the net and flicking a shot over McArthur's shoulder.
1st, 9:04 | 0-2, HARVARD GOAL: Kristin Della Rovere won the offensive zone power-play draw back to Dominique Petrie. Petrie wristed a shot on goal that trickled over the goal line.
1st, 10:07 | 0-3, HARVARD GOAL: Courtney Hyland cut back in the left circle to hit Becca Gilmore with a pass at the top of the slot, allowing Gilmore to find Kat Hughes across the zone for a tap-in goal at the right post.
2nd, 17:24 | 0-4, HARVARD GOAL: After Pickreign made the initial save on a shot, Hughes was able to bat the rebound into the net.
3rd, 4:19 | 0-5, HARVARD GOAL: Keely Moy centered a pass to Petrie at the top of the crease and the sophomore was able to slide it between the legs.
3rd, 7:42 | 1-5, BC GOAL: Annese carried the puck down the right wing and fired a shot to the far post. Beres was crashing the net and redirected the puck through traffic past Reed.
3rd, 11:01 | 1-6, HARVARD GOAL: Moy's centering pass from the left circle found its way to Petrie at the right post for a finish.
3rd, 18:19 | 1-7, HARVARD GOAL: Della Rovere skated down the right wing and beat Pickreign with a near-side wrist shot from the right circle.
- BC now holds a 15-27-1 all-time against Harvard with a mark of 7-9-0 at Kelley Rink and a record of 12-6-1 under head coach Katie Crowley.
- Maegen Beres picked up her second goal of the season, which ties her career-high freshman season ... Beres now has eight points this season on two goals and six assists.
- Kate Annese's assist marked her first point since tallying a goal against Harvard on Nov. 22, 2017 ... it was the second assist of her career and first helper since Oct. 1, 2016 at Minnesota Duluth.
- Alexie Guay's assist marked her 10th of the season ... the freshman now has 12 points on two goals and 10 assists.
The Eagles are now 0-5-0 all-time on New Year's Eve.
- BC finishes the 2010s with an overall record of 274-75-31 ... the 274 wins mark the third-most in the nation and the most of any Hockey East school ... BC is just one of four schools in the country to eclipse the 250 wins mark over the last 10 years.
- The Eagles outscored opponents 1,419 to 696 in the decade ... BC's 1,419 goals mark the third most in the country over the last 10 years.
Boston College: 11-7-2
Boston College will return to action next weekend, playing a home-and-home series against Northeastern. The Eagles will host the Huskies on Friday, Jan. 10 before closing out the regular season series at Matthews Arena on Sunday, Jan. 12.