CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - The Boston College women's hockey team had four different goal scorers while Maddy McArthur made 42 saves in a 4-2 win over UConn in the first game of the Hockey East Tournament quarterfinals on Friday night at Kelley Rink. Hannah Bilka, Cayla Barnes, Jillian Fey and Delaney Belinskas scored for the fourth-seeded Eagles in topping the fifth-seeded Huskies in the best-of-three series.
Bilka scored for BC under three minutes into the contest and then Barnes found the back of the net in the final minute of the opening period. Fey potted her second of the season 51 seconds into the second and then McArthur went on to make 20 saves, including six on the penalty kill, for a 3-0 lead heading into the third. UConn would put two extra-attacker goals in with under three minutes to play, but Belinskas muscled home an empty-net goal to secure the win.
Morgan Fisher stopped 23 saves to McArthur's 42 while UConn held the 44-27 lead in shots on goal. BC kept UConn to 0-for-2 on the power play.
Boston College 4, UConn 2
February 28, 2020 | 6 p.m.
Kelley Rink at Conte Forum | Chestnut Hill, Mass.
1st, 2:40 | 1-0, BC GOAL: On the right wing, Barnes carried the puck over the blue line and centered a pass between Kelly Browne and a defender into the left circle. Bilka skated on to it and immediately wristed a shot that found its way through Fisher's pads.
1st, 19:22 | 2-0, BC GOAL: Barnes skated into the offensive zone and as she entered the left circle, created a screen to wrist a shot through the defender's legs and under the crossbar.
2nd, 3:39 | 3-0, BC GOAL: From behind the BC net, Hadley Hartmetz found Belinskas on the right half wall. Belinskas touched the puck out of the zone to Fey who skated through the neutral zone, crossed to the left side of the ice and wristed her shot through Fisher's legs from the left face-off dot.
3rd, 17:13| 3-1, UCONN GOAL: Viki Harkness worked the puck up to the left point and Tristyn Svetek sent in a long wrist shot that Jessie Aney redirected at the left hashmarks into the upper left corner of the net for the extra-attacker goal.
3rd, 18:35 | 3-2, UCONN GOAL: With Fisher on the bench for an extra skater, Natalie Snodgrass got the puck at the right face-off dot. She turned and fired a wrist shot that McArthur made the initial save on but the puck deflected up high and over the BC goaltender into the net.
3rd, 19:25 | 4-2, BC GOAL: Belinskas pinched along the right boards in the defensive zone, won the puck and then skated a few strides before sending it down the ice into the empty net.
- BC now holds a 38-17-10 all-time mark against UConn ... the Eagles have a record of 22-7-2 against UConn at Kelley Rink.
- BC and UConn have now met six times in the conference tournament with BC holding a 5-1-0 record.
- BC is now 13-1 all-time in the conference tournament quarterfinals and a mark of 24-11 all-time in the Hockey East Tournament.
- Bridget McCarthy became the 12th player in program history to suit up for 150 career games today.
- Hannah Bilka, Hadley Hartmetz and Kate Annese all recorded their first career Hockey East Tournament points.
- Delaney Belinskas now has nine career points in the Hockey East Tournament on three goals and six assists ... the senior recorded her 23rd career multi-point game and eighth career multi-assist game ... she now sits 25th all-time in program history with 93 career points off of 49 goals and 44 assists.
- Cayla Barnes recorded her 11th career multi-point game with her one goal and one assist ... she now has 94 blocks on the year.
- Jillian Fey scored her second goal of the season and her second career game-winning goal ... her two goals this year mark a career-high.
- Hannah Bilka scored her 14th goal of the season ... BC is now 8-0-1 this season when Bilka scores a goal and 14-4-3 when she records at least one point.
- Maddy McArthur's 42 saves mark one off her career-high of 43, set earlier this season against Wisconsin.
Boston College: 17-14-2
Boston College and UConn will meet for game two of the best-of-three series tomorrow at 2 p.m. at Kelley Rink.