NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The No. 9 Providence College women's hockey team defeated Yale University, 2-1, on Friday night at Ingalls Rink. The Friars advance to face Quinnipiac in the Nutmeg Classic Championship tomorrow night (Nov. 24).
Providence - 2 | Yale - 1
Providence: 11-2-0 (7-1-0 HE) | Yale: 2-7-0 (2-6-0 ECAC)
Ingalls Rink | New Haven, Conn.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Friars and Bulldogs were level after one period of play. Each team had a power play in the opening 20 minutes, but neither side was able to set up or create dangerous chances.
- Providence outshot Yale 13-3 in the first period, forcing Tera Hoffman to make 13 saves early in the game.
- Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) broke the stalemate with 8:22 remaining in the second period. Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) took a shot on goal that Hoffman saved, but Putigna was there to bury the rebound for her seventh goal of the season.
- Murphy's assist was her team-leading 11th of the season. Both her and Putigna are each on seven-game point streaks.
- Yale applied pressure early in the third period, forcing Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) to make five saves in the opening few minutes. She had made just six through the first two periods.
- Charlotte Welch tied the game with 12:05 remaining in the third. Her one-timer in front, which was her second-career goal, was assisted by Greta Skarzynski and Jordan Chancellor.
- Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) scored with 5:24 remaining in regulation to help Providence regain the lead. She passed it over to Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) who returned the pass on the 2-on-1. Hjalmarsson buried it for her sixth goal of the season.
- MacPherson now has six assists on the season. Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) picked up the secondary assist and now has eight this season.
- Myers finished with 14 saves in her 100th career game. Hoffman made 31 for Yale.
- Providence has now won seven games in a row.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 11:38/2nd - EV - Christina Putigna (Murphy) - Rebound in front
1-1 (Yale) - 7:55/3rd - EV - Charlotte Welch (Skarzynski, Chancellor) - Pass out front for a one-timer
2-1 (Providence) - 14:36/3rd - EV - Sara Hjalmarsson (MacPherson, Fransoo) - Give-and-go on a 2-on-1 break
Providence: Madison Myers, 10-1-0: 14 saves, 1 goal against
Yale: Tera Hoffman, 2-4-0: 31 saves, 2 goals against
Power plays: 0-2 (0%)
Penalty kill: 1-1 (100%)
Power plays: 0-1 (0%)
Penalty kill: 2-2 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Putigna (6)
Goals: Putigna, Hjalmarsson (1)
Assists: Murphy, MacPherson, Fransoo (1)
Points: Putigna, Murphy, Hjalmarsson, MacPherson, Fransoo (1)
Providence will face Quinnipiac tomorrow (Nov. 24) in the Championship Game of the Nutmeg Classic. Puck drop is at 7:00 p.m.