PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The No. 7 Providence College women's hockey team fell by a score of 5-4 to the University of Vermont on Saturday, Jan. 5 at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 4 | Vermont - 5
Providence: 15-4-0 (9-3-0 HE) | Vermont: 6-10-4 (4-7-2 HE)
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Providence jumped out to a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Ariane Julien (Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec) and Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.).
- Julien's tally, which was her first of the season, came 9:21 into the game. She was assisted by freshmen Ciara Barone (North Tonawanda, N.Y.) and Caroline Peterson (East Falmouth, Mass.).
- Just 1:23 later, Murphy scored her 18th goal of the year. Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) and Chloe Gonsalves (Toronto, Ontario) started the breakout in the defensive zone that allowed Murphy to skate in and beat Melissa Black with a wrister.
- Gonsalves earned her first point of the season with the assist.
- Vermont responded with a power-play goal at the 17:31 mark of the opening period. Eve-Audrey Picard scored her team-leading seventh goal of the year on a scramble in front. She was assisted by Corinne McCool.
- With only 38 seconds left in the period, Olivia Kilberg evened the score at 2-2. She picked up the puck in the neutral zone and skated in on Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.), beating her five-hole.
- Providence regained the lead on a Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) goal at 14:07 of the second. Annelise Rice (Excelsior, Minn.) passed to MacPherson who made a move in the slot to beat a defender. She then beat Black at the far post for her eighth goal of the season.
- The Catamounts responded once again, this time scoring just 25 seconds after the Friars. Picard slipped a pass to Theresa Schafzahl who roofed a shot past Myers' glove.
- Murphy scored her second of the game to make it 4-3 at 4:31 of the third period. She skated all the way from the defensive blue line and ripped a shot into the top corner.
- Murphy has now recorded multiple points in 12 of the Friars' 19 games. She's only been held off the scoresheet twice all year.
- Once again, the Catamounts were up to the challenge and responded. Alyssa Gorecki scored Vermont's second power-play goal of the game to make it 4-4 with just under eight minutes left to play. Picard picked up her second assist and third point of the day on the play.
- The Friars and Catamounts headed to overtime, where Ali O'Leary played the hero for Vermont. She scored with 2:31 remaining on the clock to send Vermont home victorious. Her goal, which was a diving play in front of the net, was assisted by Saana Valkama and Kristina Shanahan.
- This was Providence's second overtime game of the season. The Friars are now 1-1-0 in extra time this year.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 9:21/1st - EV - Ariane Julien (Barone, Peterson) - Shot from the slot that went five-hole
2-0 (Providence) - 10:44/1st - EV - Maureen Murphy (Dove, Gonsalves) - Skated in from the neutral zone and lifted a wrister over Black's shoulder
2-1 (Vermont) - 17:31/1st - PP - Eve-Audrey Picard (McCool) - Scramble in front
2-2 (Vermont) - 19:22/1st - EV - Olivia Kilberg (unassisted) - Skated in from the neutral zone and slipped it through Myers' five-hole
3-2 (Providence) - 14:07/2nd - EV - Cassidy MacPherson (Rice) - Beat a defender in the slot and scored at the far post
3-3 (Vermont) - 14:32/2nd - EV - Theresa Schafzahl (Picard) - Wrist shot over Myers' glove from the right circle
4-3 (Providence) - 4:31/3rd - EV - Maureen Murphy (unassisted) - Hard shot into the top corner
4-4 (Vermont) - 12:11/3rd - PP - Alyssa Gorecki (Cleary, Picard) - One-timer at the back post
5-4 (Vermont) - 2:29/OT - EV - Ali O'Leary (Valkama, Shanahan) - Diving play in front to shove the puck in
Providence: Madison Myers, 14-3-0: 25 saves, 5 goals against
Vermont: Melissa Black, 4-8-3: 20 saves, 4 goals against
Power plays: 0-1 (0%)
Penalty kill: 1-3 (33%)
Power plays: 2-3 (67%)
Penalty kill: 1-1 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Murphy (7)
Goals: Murphy (2)
Assists: Barone, Peterson, Dove, Gonsalves, Rice (1)
Points: Murphy (2)
Providence concludes the regular-season series with the Catamounts tomorrow (Jan. 6) at 2:00 p.m. at Schneider Arena.