PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The No. 9 Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of New Hampshire by a score of 5-0 on Saturday, Jan. 19 at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 0 | New Hampshire - 5
Providence: 17-7-0 (11-6-0 HE) | New Hampshire: 9-12-4 (6-11-1 HE)
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The first period concluded in a scoreless tie. Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) turned away 13 shots, while Kyra Smith stopped all eight she faced for the Wildcats.
- Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) went to the box late in the period, giving UNH over a minute of power play time to open the second. Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) then went to the box exactly 1:00 in, giving the Wildcats a short 5-on-3 opportunity.
- The Friars killed off the two-man advantage, but Devan Taylor ended up converting for UNH on the power play. She scored a rebound goal after a shot from the point to make it 1-0 just 2:41 into the second.
- The Wildcats extended their lead midway through the period. Taylor Wenczkowski and Marie-Jo Pelletier skated in on a 2-on-1, where Wenczkowski was eventually able to put home a rebound for the two-goal lead.
- Providence had a power play late in the second period but was unable to convert. The Friars ended up outshooting the Wildcats 18-11 in the middle stanza.
- UNH took a penalty early in the third, but ended up scoring a short-handed goal on a breakaway to make it 3-0. Meghara McManus scored her eighth goal of the season for UNH.
- Nicole Dunbar made it 4-0 UNH with a diving play at the back post to poke in a rebound. Her goal, which was her sixth of the year, came at the 7:31 mark of the third.
- Wenczkowski added an empty-net goal with less than three minutes to play.
- Myers made 30 saves for the Friars, tying her season-high.
- Smith stopped all 41 shots she faced for UNH. That marked a career-high for the senior netminder.
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) led Providence in shots on goal, as she tallied nine.
- This was just the second game of the season in which the Friars were held off the scoreboard.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UNH) - 2:41/2nd - PP - Devan Taylor (Scammell, McManus) - Rebound on a shot from the point
2-0 (UNH) - 10:04/2nd - EV - Taylor Wenczkowski (Pelletier) - Rebound goal on a 2-on-1
3-0 (UNH) - 3:20/3rd - SH - Meghara McManus (unassisted) - Breakaway goal
4-0 (UNH) - 7:31/3rd - EV - Nicole Dunbar (Rickwood) - Diving play to poke in a rebound
5-0 (UNH) - 17:21/3rd - EN - Taylor Wenczkowski (unassisted) - Empty-netter
Providence: Madison Myers, 16-6-0: 30 saves, 4 goals against
New Hampshire: Krya Smith, 8-7-2: 41 saves, 0 goals against
Power plays: 0-7 (0%)
Penalty kill: 3-4 (75%)
Power plays: 1-4 (25%)
Penalty kill: 7-7 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Murphy (9)
Providence plays at Boston College on Friday, Jan. 25 at 2:00 p.m. and then hosts the Eagles at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 26.