ORONO, Maine - The women's ice hockey team kicked off Homecoming Weekend with a strong 5-3 victory over the University of New Hampshire on Friday night.
MAINE GAME NOTES AND HIGHLIGHTS
- Maine's offense posted 26 shots on goal to UNH's 20, the fifth game this season the Black Bears have outshot an opponent.
- Loryn Porter earned the victory and is now 4-0-0 on the year.
- The Black Bears penalty kill was 1-for-5 and power play was 1-for-2.
- Tereza Vanisova continues her offensive tear with a goal and an assist tonight for her ninth point in seven games.
- Maine is now 6-1-0 and 2-1-0 in Hockey East.
- This is the fourth time this season the Black Bears have scored at least three goals in a game, with a team offense that averages four goals a game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 1st period, 2:29 | Michelle Weis scored her first goal of the season, handling a short dish from Tereza Vanisova across the slot to give the Black Bears the lead two and a half minutes into the game. The secondary assist came from Brittany Kucera, who controlled the puck along the boards Vanisova. 1-0 Maine.
- 1st period, 12:09 | On the power play, Vendula Pribylova tucked in a hard point shot from Ida Press that sailed over the net and bounced off the glass. Press was set up on the one timer by Lydia Murray. 2-0 Maine.
- 1st period, 14:03 | UNH's Meghara McManus had a takeaway along the nearside boards in neutral ice, getting it through with a hard shot for her first of the year. 2-1 Maine.
- 1st period, 16:52 | On the power play, Carlee Turner and Nicole Dunbar pressured Maine's defense across the faceoff circle. Turner lifted the Maine defender's stick and freed up the puck, chipping the puck to Dunbar for the finish. UNH goal, 2-2 tie.
- 2nd period, 17:28 | Ida Press stripped a UNH defender of the puck and fired a quick pass off to Celine Tedenby, who fired in a rising shot that fired past the goalie blocker side. 3-2 Maine.
- 3rd period, 4:43 | Tereza Vanisova sprinted in on a rush after handling a pass from Michelle Weis. With separation from her defender, Vanisova cut across the lower slot and popped a wrist shot up to extend the Black Bear's lead. 4-2 Maine.
- 3rd period, 19:18 | With the goalie pulled, Taylor Wenczknowski capitalized on chaos in front of the net, dishing in a puck that was loose in front. UNH goal, 4-3 Maine lead.
- 3rd period, 19:37 | Brittany Colton iced the game for the Black Bears with an empty net goal, 5-3 Maine lead.
- The Black Bears hosts the second game of the weekend as No. 6 Boston College comes to Orono on Sunday, Oct. 28 with puck drop at 2 p.m.