BURLINGTON, Vt. - A four-point night by Mikyla Grant-Mentis powered the Merrimack Warriors (12-7-3, 8-6-1 WHEA) over the Vermont Catamounts (6-12-4, 4-9-2 WHEA) Friday night at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
"Merrimack certainly earned the win tonight with their opportunistic play," said head coach Jim Plumer. "Our team played hard and had chances to make this a different outcome, but we have to convert our chances and minimize mistakes."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Catamounts outshot Merrimack in the first period, but trailed 2-0 heading to intermission. Jessica Bonfe's power-play goal with 4:28 left in the opening frame was followed up by a shorthanded tally by Grant-Mentis 2:29 later. The goal was Grant-Mentis' second point of the period.
- Dominique Kremer extended the Warriors' lead 48 seconds into the second period on a shorthanded goal that was assisted by Grant-Mentis.
- Vermont nearly cut the lead multiple times on the power play in the middle frame. While on a 5-on-3 advantage, Theresa Schafzahl carried the puck from the half-wall to the high slot and dished a pass to Kristina Shanahan for a one-timer, but the UVM sophomore was denied by Samantha Ridgewell (35 saves).
- Grant-Mentis added her second goal of the night with 3:33 left in the middle frame when she intercepted a pass on the penalty kill and rushed up the ice before slipping the puck around the pads of Melissa Black (9 saves).
- Vermont continued to put shots on net in the third period and were rewarded with Alyssa Holmes' second goal of the season. The sophomore forward received a centering pass from Val Caldwell and batted the puck through the pads of Ridgewell. Maude Poulin-Labelle was credited with the secondary assist.
- Blanka kodová entered the UVM goal in the third period and registered 10 saves.
The Catamounts and Merrimack match up once again Saturday (Jan. 12) for a 4 p.m. puck drop at Gutterson Fieldhouse. Kids are encouraged to stick around after the game for a post-game press conference. The young fans will receive a Vermont credential for the exclusive opportunity to be able to ask the players any questions they have.