PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The No. 8 Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut, 2-1, on Saturday afternoon (Dec. 1) at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 1 | UConn - 2
Providence: 13-3-0 (8-2-0 HE) | UConn: 8-9-1 (4-7-1 HE)
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The game was scoreless at the conclusion of the first period. It marked the fourth-consecutive first period that the Friars have not gotten on the scoreboard.
- Three of the last four contests have been 0-0 after one period, including last night's game at UConn.
- Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) put the Friars up 1-0 with a 4-on-4 goal at 6:32 of the second period. She broke up a play defensively, skated down on a breakaway and beat Fisher with a nice backhander. Her goal was unassisted and her second of the season.
- Shortly after the goal, UConn went on the power play for the second time of the game. Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) made six total saves during the kill, including several sprawling efforts.
- At the 12:09 mark of the second, Jaime Fox was called for a hit that resulted in a major penalty and game misconduct.
- The Friars could not score during the five minutes of power-play time, although they did play 4-on-4 for two minutes of the opportunity.
- The Huskies tied the game with a power-play tally just 1:45 into the third period. Kayla Mee took a shot from the point that deflected in front and bounced to the stick of Briana Colangelo. She buried it for her fourth goal of the year.
- Colangelo struck again at the 8:38 mark of the third. Camryn Wong took a shot from the point that bounced off Colangelo's skate and into the back of the net. Morgan Wabick earned her seventh assist of the season by picking up the secondary.
- Myers finished with 26 saves for Providence, while Fisher had 21 for the Huskies.
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) was held off the scoresheet for the first time in the last ten games.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 6:32/2nd - EV (4-on-4) - Meaghan Rickard (unassisted) - Breakaway goal
1-1 (UConn) - 1:45/3rd - PP - Briana Colangelo (Mee, Svetek) - Shot from the point that deflected in front to Colangelo's stick
2-1 (UConn) - 8:38/3rd - EV - Briana Colangelo (Wong, M. Wabick) - Deflection off a skate in front
Providence: Madison Myers, 12-2-0: 26 saves, 2 goals against
UConn: Morgan Fisher, 6-8-1: 21 saves, 1 goal against
Power plays: 0-2 (0%)
Penalty kill: 2-3 (67%)
Power plays: 1-3 (33%)
Penalty kill: 2-2 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Murphy (4)
Goals: Rickard (1)
Points: Rickard (1)
Providence plays at Brown on Tuesday, Dec. 4. The battle for the 24th Mayor's Cup will take place at 6:00 p.m. at Meehan Auditorium.