PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women's hockey team defeated Concordia University, 6-1, in an exhibition game on Friday, Sept. 28 at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 6 | Concordia - 1
Providence: 0-0-0 | Concordia: 4-1-0
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The first period ended in a scoreless draw, with each team recording five shots on goal. Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) made five saves in her 20 minutes of action.
- The second period featured four goals and seven total penalties.
- Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) got the scoring started for the Friars. Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) played the puck to Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) who left a drop pass on the slot for MacPherson to finish.
- Just three minutes later, Providence doubled its lead on the power play. Hjalmarsson again picked up the assist by playing a nice cross-ice pass to Murphy, who sniped the top left corner. Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) picked up the secondary assist.
- The Friars tallied another power play goal at the 14:19 mark of the middle stanza. One-touch passing through the zone led to a one-time finish from Hayley Lunny (Bedford, N.Y.). Neve Van Pelt (Mitchell, Ontario) and Meghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) had the assists.
- Just over a minute later, Concordia cut into the lead. Rosalie Begin-Cyr picked up a rebound in front and put it past Clare Minnerath (Sartell, Minn.).
- Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) became the fourth Friar of the day to score with a shot from the point. It deflected off a defenseman and found the back of the net. Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) and Murphy earned the assists.
- MacPherson got her second of the night at the 15:48 mark of the third period. She skated down on a 2-on-1 with Murphy, elected to take the shot herself and slipped it past Madison Oakes for the 6-1 lead.
- Providence had five different goal scorers and had nine different players register a point.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 4:55/2nd - EV - Cassidy MacPherson (Hjalmarsson, Murphy) - Drop pass in the slot
2-0 (Providence) - 7:50/2nd - PP - Maureen Murphy (Hjalmarsson, Dove) - Top corner snipe from the left circle
3-0 (Providence) - 14:19/2nd - PP - Hayley Lunny (Van Pelt, Rickard) - One-timer from the slot
3-1 (Concordia) - 15:42/2nd - EV - Rosalie Begin-Cyr (Lalancette) - Rebound in front
4-1 (Providence) - 2:43/3rd - EV - Kate Friesen (Fransoo, Murphy) - Shot from the point that deflected off a defender
5-1 (Providence) - 7:07/3rd - EV - Meghan Rickard (Friesen) - Wrist shot from the outside edge of the right circle
6-1 (Providence) - 15:48/3rd - EV - Cassidy MacPherson (unassisted) - 2-on-1 opportunity, wrist-shot goal
Providence: Madison Myers - 5 saves, 0 goals against
Clare Minnerath - 2 saves, 1 goal against
Sandra Abstreiter - 0 saves, 0 goals against
Concordia: Alice Philbert - 18 saves, 5 goals against
Madison Oakes - 3 saves, 1 goal against
Power plays: 2-6 (33.3%)
Penalty kill: 4-4 (100%)
Power plays: 0-4 (0%)
Penalty kill: 4-6 (66.6%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Murphy (5)
Goals: MacPherson (2)
Assists: Hjalmarsson, Murphy (2)
Points: Murphy (3)
The Friars open the regular season with a two-game series at home against Bemidji State. Puck-drop is set for 6:00 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 5 and 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 6.