BOSTON - Redshirt junior Sammy Davis recorded her 100th career point as part of a two-goal afternoon to help the No. 8 Boston University women's ice hockey team sweep its best-of-three Hockey East quarterfinal series against New Hampshire with a 3-1 victory on Saturday at Walter Brown Arena.
BU (21-7-8) will face second-seeded Boston College in the semifinals on Saturday, March 9, thanks to its two-game sweep of New Hampshire (13-17-6). The Terriers won the regular-season series with the Eagles, 2-1, thanks to a 3-2 road win on Nov. 30 and a 4-2 home triumph on Dec. 1. This is the Terriers' 11th semifinal appearance in 14 seasons.
Sophomore Jesse Compher collected three assists, including the primary helper on junior Deziray De Sousa's eventual game-winner. Junior Abby Cook notched an assist for the fourth straight game while freshmen Kaleigh Donnelly and Alex Allan each added one assist as well.
Sophomore goaltender Corinne Schroeder stopped 27 shots, including 14 in the third period, to earn the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Davis opened the scoring at the 5:00 mark of the first frame when she redirected Cook's shot from the top of the zone.
- De Sousa extended the lead to 2-0 with a power-play marker just 5:26 later. Donnelly did well to protect the puck along the half-wall and eventually dished the puck across the UNH zone to Compher at the right circle. Compher found a wide-open De Sousa at the right post, and after corralling the pass, the junior backhanded the puck past Kyra Smith (29 saves) for her seventh goal of the season.
- After a scoreless second stanza, Davis pushed the lead to 3-0 with her 25th goal of the season. Compher began the sequence when she skated out of her own zone and flipped the puck into the offensive end. Davis got to the puck first, collecting it in the left corner. She whipped it to the front of the net, where it deflected off of Smith's paddle and into the back of the net.
- New Hampshire got a goal back just 30 seconds later when Meghara McManus scored a shorthanded goal, but that was as close as the Wildcats came to equalizing.
- Davis became the 13th player to record 100 points as a Terrier.
- She now has 49 goals and 52 assists for 101 career points.
- Compher became only the second Terrier to notch 60 points in a single season.
- She now has 43 assists, good for second in the nation, in addition to 17 goals.
- Victoria Bach set the program record with 67 points last season.
- Both Davis (2g, 3a) and Compher (5a) tallied five points in the weekend sweep.
- Cook extended her point streak to four games and has now notched a point in 12 of the last 14 games.
- BU held UNH to an 0-of-6 mark on the power play this weekend.
NEXT UP: BOSTON COLLEGE
- The Terriers will face Boston College in the Hockey East semifinals, which will take place Saturday, March 9, at Providence.
- Game time will either be 4:30.