PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the Bemidji State Beavers by a score of 4-3 on Saturday, Oct. 6 at Schneider Arena. Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) scored two unassisted goals in the win.
Providence - 4 | Bemidji State - 3
Providence: 2-0-0 | Bemidji State: 0-4-0
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Providence's best chance of the first period came with less than a minute on the clock. Emily Landry (Orangeville, Ontario) and Hayley Lunny (Bedford, N.Y.) skated in on a 2-on-1. Landry slipped a pass to Lunny, who rang a shot off the crossbar.
- Claire DeGeorge got Bemidji State on the board with her first goal of the season at the 3:24 mark of the second period. She was assisted by Emily Bergland and Briana Jorde.
- Just 1:03 later, Lindsey Featherstone got the Beavers' second goal of the game. Her first of the season was assisted by Ellie Moser.
- At the 9:43 mark of the middle stanza, Tina Kampa found the back of the net for BSU. Abby Halluska drew the face-off back to the blue line where Kampa blasted a shot that beat Sandra Abstreiter (Freising, Germany).
- Providence began the comeback with a goal from Sara Hjalmarsson 11:25 into the period. She used the defender as a screen and beat Lauren Bench over the shoulder. The goal was assisted by Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) and was the first of Hjalmarsson's career.
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) cut the deficit to 3-2 on an unassisted goal with less than two minutes remaining in the period. She stole the puck in the neutral zone, skated in on a breakaway and beat Bench with a wrist shot, blocker side.
- 7:25 into the third period, Murphy tied the game with an extremely similar goal. She once again stole the puck, skated in on a partial breakaway and beat Bench. This time, her goal was both unassisted and short-handed.
- Neve Van Pelt (Mitchell, Ontario) scored the game-winner with less than 10 minutes remaining in regulation. Her first goal of the season was assisted by Landry and Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia).
- Abstreiter made her first career start in net for the Friars. She made 14 total saves and allowed three goals.
- The Friars completed the weekend sweep of Bemidji State with today's win and moved to 2-0-0 on the season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (BSU) - 3:24/2nd - EV - Claire DeGeorge (Bergland, Jorde) - Wrist shot in front
2-0 (BSU) - 4:27/2nd - EV - Lindsey Featherstone (Moser) - Scramble in front
3-0 (BSU) - 9:43/2nd - EV - Tina Kampa (Halluska) - Shot from the point off the face-off
3-1 (Providence) - 11:25/2nd - EV - Sara Hjalmarsson (Fransoo) - Wrist shot that used the defender as a screen
3-2 (Providence) - 18:05/2nd - EV - Maureen Murphy (unassisted) - Steal in the neutral zone that led to a breakaway
3-3 (Providence) - 7:25/3rd - SH - Maureen Murphy (unassisted) - Partial breakaway, wrist shot over the blocker
4-3 (Providence) - 10:58/3rd - EV - Neve Van Pelt (Landry, Dove) - Wrist shot from the low slot
Providence: Sandra Abstreiter - 14 saves, 3 goals against
Bemidji State: Lauren Bench - 23 saves, 4 goals against
Power plays: 0-6 (0%)
Penalty kill: 4-4 (100%)
Power plays: 0-4 (0%)
Penalty kill: 6-6 (86%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Murphy (7)
Goals: Murphy (2)
Assists: Fransoo, Landry, Dove (1)
Points: Murphy (2)
The Friars begin league play next weekend, hosting Holy Cross on Friday, Oct. 12. Puck drop is set for 6:00 p.m. at Schneider Arena.