PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Providence College women's hockey defeated the No. 5 Boston College Eagles, 4-2, on Saturday, Nov. 3 at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 4 | #5 Boston College - 2
Providence: 6-2-0 (3-1-0 HE) | Boston College: 8-3-0 (5-1-0 HE)
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Boston College was penalized twice in the closing minutes of the first period, meaning the Friars began the second period with 42 seconds of 5-on-3 action.
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) wasted no time, as she scored her seventh goal of the season just 18 seconds into the middle stanza. Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) skated end-to-end and played the puck to Hayley Lunny (Bedford, N.Y.). Lunny slipped it to Murphy who finished with a wrister in the slot.
- Hjalmarsson's assist marked her fourth of the season, while Lunny's was her third.
- Boston College responded with a goal at the 6:03 mark of the period. Daryl Watts scored her seventh of the season. She was assisted by Serena Sommerfield and Bridget McCarthy.
- Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) notched her second goal of the season just 1:04 later. She blasted a slap shot past Maddy McArthur, giving the Friars a second power-play tally of the game. Defensemen Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) and Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) assisted the goal.
- Providence extended its lead to 3-1 with 15:54 remaining in the game. Murphy scored her second of the day on a beautiful play between her, Putigna and Hjalmarsson.
- Watts' tallied her second of the day, and 50th of her career, to make it 3-2. Her wrister, which was assisted by Makenna Newkirk and Grace Bizal, came on the power play with 10:09 remaining in the third.
- With nine seconds remaining, Putigna buried an empty-netter. She finished the game with two goals and an assist for three points. It marked her first multi-goal game of her career.
- Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) made 22 total saves in the game. Maddy McArthur made 24 for Boston College.
- Providence snapped Boston College's eight-game winning streak.
- This was the first time all season that BC was held to under 25 shots. Providence outshot Boston College 28-24 in the game.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 0:18/2nd - PP (5-on-3) - Maureen Murphy (Lunny, Hjalmarsson) - Wrist shot in the slot
1-1 (BC) - 6:03/2nd - EV - Daryl Watts (Sommerfield, McCarthy) - Wrist shot from the left side2-1 2-2-1 (Providence) - 7:07/2nd - PP - Christina Putigna (Fransoo, Friesen) - Slap shot from the top of the right circle
3-1 (Providence) - 4:06/3rd - EV - Maureen Murphy (Putigna, Hjalmarsson) - Pass to Murphy at the back post for a one-timer
3-2 (BC) - 9:51/3rd - PP - Daryl Watts (Newkirk, Bizal) - Wrist shot from the slot
4-2 (Providence) - 19:51/3rd - EN - Christina Putigna (unassisted) - Empty-netter
Providence: Madison Myers, 5-1-0: 22 saves, 2 goals against
Boston College: Maddy McArthur, 8-3-0: 24 saves, 3 goals against
Power plays: 2-4 (50%)
Penalty kill: 2-3 (66%)
Power plays: 1-3 (33%)
Penalty kill: 2-4 (50%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Murphy (6)
Goals: Murphy, Putigna (2)
Assists: Hjalmarsson (2)
Points: Putigna (3)
The Friars host the University of Maine on Friday, Nov. 9 at 6:00 p.m. Providence then travels to the University of Vermont for a 1:00 p.m. game on Sunday, Nov. 11.