PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women's hockey team dropped a Hockey East contest to the Boston College Eagles, 4-2, on Saturday, Jan. 26 at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 2 | No. 9 Boston College - 4
Providence: 17-9-0 (11-8-0 HE) | Boston College: 18-9-0 (15-7-0 HE)
Schneider Arena | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Boston College struck early and first for the second time this weekend. Daryl Watts played the puck to the low slot where Makenna Newkirk was able to roof a shot over the shoulder of Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) just 45 seconds into action.
- The Friars' best chance of the opening period came late, as Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) and Hayley Lunny (Bedford, N.Y.) skated in on a 2-on-1. Lunny took the initial shot and Murphy had a rebound bid, but both were denied by Maddy MacArthur.
- The Eagles extended the lead to 2-0 just 2:26 into the second. Lindsey Agnew scored on a back-door feed from Watts. Keller picked up her second assist of the game on the play.
- Providence got its first power-play opportunity of the game late in the period. Lunny scored her eighth goal of the season for the Friars 15 seconds into the man-advantage. Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) played the puck cross-ice to Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia). She fired a shot that Lunny tipped past MacArthur to make it 2-1.
- Sara Hjalmarsson (Bankeryd, Sweden) tied the game about two minutes later with another power play goal. Murphy took a slap shot from the point that hit a defenseman in front. Hjalmarsson corralled the loose puck and buried it for her eighth goal of the season.
- MacPherson earned her second assist of the game, and ninth of the season, on the play.
- Providence had another power play early in the third, but this time it was BC that capitalized. Lindsay Agnew scored her second of the game on a short-handed rush. Newkirk assisted the play.
- The Eagles pushed the lead back to two goals at the 5:08 mark of the third. Caitrin Lonergan scored from the top of the crease off a nice set-up by Kelly Browne and Kali Flanagan.
- Myers finished with 27 saves for Providence and MacArthur made 22 for BC.
- The Eagles won the regular-season series between the teams with a record of 2-1-0.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Boston College) - 0:45/1st - EV - Makenna Newkirk (Watts, Keller) - Shot from the low slot over Myers' shoulder
2-0 (Boston College) - 2:26/2nd - EV - Lindsay Agnew (Watts, Keller) - Back-door feed for a tap in
2-1 (Providence) - 14:17/2nd - PP - Hayley Lunny (Dove, MacPherson) - Tip from the top of the crease
2-2 (Providence) - 16:14/2nd - PP - Sara Hjalmarsson (Murphy, MacPherson) - Rebound after a blocked shot
3-2 (Boston College) - 2:10/3rd - SH - Lindsay Agnew (Newkirk) - Flip out to center ice for a breakaway
4-2 (Boston College) - 5:08/3rd - PP - Caitrin Lonergan (Browne, Flanagan) - One-time finish at the top of the crease
Providence: Madison Myers, 16-8-0: 27 saves, 4 goals against
Boston College: Maddy McArthur, 17-8-0: 22 saves, 2 goals against
Power plays: 2-4 (50%)
Penalty kill: 3-4 (75%)
Power plays: 1-4 (25%)
Penalty kill: 2-4 (50%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Murphy, Lunny (5)
Goals: Lunny, Hjalmarsson (1)
Assists: MacPherson (2)
Points: MacPherson (2)
Providence plays at Merrimack next Friday (Feb. 1) at 5:00 p.m. The Friars then host UConn on Saturday, Feb. 2 at 2:00 p.m. for the annual Skating Strides game.