CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - Daryl Watts, Megan Keller and Savannah Norcross each scored a goal while eight players registered points as the No. 5/5 Boston College women's hockey team earned a 3-0 blanking of UConn on Thursday night at Kelley Rink. Freshman Maddy McArthur made 19 saves for her second shutout in just 10 collegiate starts, and the Eagles improved to 5-0 in Hockey East play for the first time since the 2015-16 season.
UConn earned the game's first power play six minutes into the opening stanza but BC killed it without allowing a shot on goal. Minutes later on another UConn power play, McArthur turned away two shots and her teammates blocked three others to kill it off. The squads seemed destined to enter the first intermission tied before Watts picked up her sixth of the season with just under three to play in the frame.
In a scoreless second period, UConn's Natalie Snodgrass got fed in the low slot for a tricky tip but McArthur made the pad save and 30 seconds later, squeezed a Leona Sim one-timer from the bottom of the circle.
It took just 2:36 into the third period for BC to double its lead, with Norcross potting her second career goal. With just under five minutes to play, Keller's fourth power-play goal of the season put the game out of reach.
BC held the final edge in shots on goal at 35-19. Morgan Fisher finished with 32 saves to McArthur's 19. BC was 1-for-3 on the power play and UConn was 0-for-5.
No. 5 Boston College 3, UConn 0
Thursday, Nov. 1, 2018 | 7 p.m.
Kelley Rink at Conte Forum | Chestnut Hill, Mass.
1st, 17:08 | 1-0, BC GOAL: Delaney Belinskas pushed the puck up the right boards to Lonergan who carried the puck over the blue line, toe dragging to slip through two Huskies. Lonergan then broke in on Fisher and slid a pass to Watts who slammed the puck home at the left post.
3rd, 2:36 | 2-0, BC GOAL: At the top of the right circle among three Huskies, Willow Corson backhanded the back to Watts near the dot and she tapped it over to Norcross at the bottom of the left circle Norcross kept the puck low and finished through Fisher's legs.
3rd, | 3-0, BC GOAL: Entering the zone, Kelly Browne dropped a pass for Makenna Newkirk at the top of the right circle and Newkirk slipped a pass through a UConn defender for a crashing Keller to tip through Fisher's legs.
- The Eagles lead the all-time series between the teams, 32-15-9 ... at Kelley Rink, BC is 18-6-2 against the Huskies.
- Megan Keller moved her point streak to six games while Caitrin Lonergan bumped hers to five.
- This was BC's fifth consecutive game in which it had at least three different goal scorers.
- BC has now limited opponents to one goal or less in each of the last eight games ... it's the longest such streak in program history, a seven-game streak from Oct. 17, 2015 to Nov. 7, 2015 ... it's the longest streak in NCAA hockey since the beginning of the 2017-18 season.
- The Eagles have registered at least 25 shots on goal in every game this season.
- Makenna Newkirk appeared in her 125th career game ... Lonergan registered her 70th career assist.
UConn: 5-4-1, 2-3-1 Hockey East
Boston College: 8-2-0, 5-0-0 Hockey East
The Eagles will travel to Providence on Saturday, Nov. 3 for a Hockey East contest against the Friars.