CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - The No. 6/6 Boston College women's hockey team used four different goal scorers en route to a 4-1 win over the UConn in the first game of the Hockey East Tournament quarterfinals on Friday afternoon at Kelley Rink. Delaney Belinskas, Kali Flanagan, Megan Keller and Makenna Newkirk scored for the second-seeded Eagles in topping the seventh-seeded Huskies in the first game of the best-of-three series.
A scoreless first period gave way two BC goals - from Belinskas and Flanagan, 40 seconds apart - in the opening three minutes of the middle frame. UConn would strike early in the third period but eight minutes later, Keller and Newkirk scored less than 30 seconds apart to put BC up for good at 4-1.
Maddy McArthur made 23 saves for her first career playoff victory while Morgan Fisher stopped 29 shots for UConn. BC had the 33-24 edge in shots on goal while both teams went 1-for-5 on the power play.
No. 6/6 Boston College 4, UConn 1
March 1, 2019 | 2 p.m.
Kelley Rink at Conte Forum | Chestnut Hill, Mass.
2nd, 2:08 | 1-0, BC GOAL: Cayla Barnes carried the puck up through the BC zone and sent a pass up the right wing to Newkirk. The captain collected it and in one motion found Belinskas entering the zone, and Belinskas skated in for a wrister that squeaked through the pads.
2nd, 2:48 | 2-0, BC GOAL: Daryl Watts and Flanagan provided pressure below the goal line and Watts got the puck back, slid it to Flanagan on the right side and the senior slotted it to her back hand and reach it around the post and in.
3rd, 3:39 | 2-1, UCONN GOAL: The puck rang around the boards up the left wing to Morgan Wabick and the defender stepped off the wall and fired a wrist shot that deflected high under the crossbar.
3rd, 11:19 | 3-1, BC GOAL: Keller entered the zone and had a give-and-go with Caitrin Lonergan to break free around the defense and fire off a lunging one-timer that tucked in under the crossbar.
3rd, 11:42 | 4-1, BC GOAL: Watts fed Jillian Fey for a point-shot wrister that deflected to Newkirk at the top of the crease. Newkirk slid the puck to her forehand and lifted it over Fisher's left pad.
- The Eagles now lead the all-time series between the teams, 35-15-9 ... BC has a mark of 20-6-2 against the Huskies at Kelley Rink ... BC and UConn have now met four times before in the conference tournament with BC holding a 3-1-0 record.
- BC is now 11-1-0 all-time in the conference tournament quarterfinals.
- Daryl Watts and Lindsay Agnew have recorded at least one shot on goal in every BC contest this season ... Caitrin Lonergan has fired at least one shot on goal in all 33 of her games played this year.
- Makenna Newkirk became the 10th player in program history to skate in her 150th career game today ... Kali Flanagan and Ryan Little have each played in 153 career games, tied for fifth in program history.
- Megan Keller's goal was her 19th of the season, a new program record for goals by a blue liner in a season ... Keller now holds the points, goals and assists records in both career and single-season for BC defenders.
- Watts, Delaney Belinskas and Newkirk have each earned at least one point in the last three contests.
- The Eagles have out-shot the opponent in 24 consecutive games.
- Jillian Fey's assist was the second of her career.
- Newkirk registered her ninth multi-point game of the season.
- Flanagan's goal was her first game-winning goal of the season ... the senior has assisted on two others this year.
Boston College: 24-10-1
Boston College and UConn will meet for game two of the best-of-three series tomorrow at 2 p.m. at Kelley Rink.