BOSTON, Mass. - Junior Abby Cook scored two goals and assisted on the eventual game-winner to lead the Boston University women's ice hockey team to a 4-2 victory over No. 4 Boston College on Saturday afternoon at Walter Brown Arena.
BU (6-4-4, 5-4-4 WHEA) completed a weekend sweep of the fourth-ranked Eagles (12-6-0, 9-4-0 WHEA) with its victory. The Terriers earned a 3-2 win at BC on Friday night.
Redshirt junior tri-captain Sammy Davis and sophomore Jesse Compher assisted on both of Cook's goals, while Davis also assisted on Compher's empty-netter. Junior Deziray De Sousa's first goal of the season proved to be the winner, with sophomore Kristina Schuler recording the primary helper.
Sophomore Corinne Schroeder was terrific between the pipes for the Terriers, as she made 37 saves, including 29 stops over the final 40 minutes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team found the back of the net in an even first period, which was the first time BU and BC played a scoreless regulation period against each other since the opening 20 minutes of the Jan. 7, 2017 contest at Conte Forum (1-1 tie).
- BC opened the scoring just 1:37 into the second stanza when Megan Keller converted on a power play.
- Cook responded at just over three minutes later right as a BU power play ended. Compher and Davis cycled the puck to Cook at the top of the zone and Cook blasted a shot that got through traffic in front of Maddy McArthur and into the back of the net.
- The Terriers took a 2-1 lead at 11:46 of the mark in almost exactly the same fashion. Once again on a power play, Compher and Davis worked the puck to Cook, whose rocket from the top of the zone beat McArthur for Cook's fifth goal of the year.
- De Sousa extended the lead to 3-1 with 2:40 to play in the middle frame. Cook chipped the puck out to Schuler, who skated out of the defensive zone and into the BC end. McArthur turned aside Schuler's shot, but De Sousa knocked home the rebound for her first goal of the season.
- The Eagles got a goal back just 27 seconds into the third period to cut the BU lead to 3-2.
Compher iced the win with an empty-net goal at 19:38 with assists from Davis and senior Reagan Rust.
- Compher extended her point streak to 11 games (8g, 14a) with her sixth multi-point effort in the last seven games.
- Davis stretched her point streak to seven games (4g, 11a) and has notched at least two points in five straight fixtures.
- She also matched her career high with three assists, achieving that feat for the first time since Oct. 7, 2016 against New Hampshire.
- Cook's two goals were a career high as she recorded two or more points for the first time since Feb. 17, 2018 against UNH.
- De Sousa recorded a point in both victories this weekend.
- The Terriers finished the weekend 5-of-11 (45.4%) on the power play after a 2-for-3 performance on Saturday.
- This was the Terriers' first home win over BC since Nov. 5, 2016, and it was also the first time BU swept a weekend series against the Eagles.
- BU won two straight games against BC for the first time since a stretch of three straight wins over the course of two seasons (Jan. 25, March 3 and Oct. 5, 2012).
NEXT UP: RIT
- The Terriers head to Rochester, New York, to close out the first semester with a pair of contests at RIT on Dec. 7 and 8.