|1st||3:21||PRV||1-0||EV||Brooke Boquist (2)||Kathleen McHugh/1, Christina Putigna/4|
|1st||13:13||VER||1-1||EV||Val Caldwell (1)||-|
|2nd||3:59||VER||2-1||EV||Daria O'Neill (1)||Saana Valkama/1, Ève-Audrey Picard/1|
|2nd||7:52||PRV||2-2||EV||Christina Putigna (2)||Kate Friesen/2, Cassidy MacPherson/1|
|2nd||13:56||PRV||3-2||EV GW||Meaghan Rickard (1)||-|
|2nd||16:14||PRV||4-2||EV||Hayley Lunny (1)||Christina Putigna/5, Avery Fransoo/2|
|3rd||3:21||PRV||5-2||EV||Kathleen McHugh (1)||Christina Putigna/6, Rachel Rockwell/1|
|3rd||11:27||PRV||6-2||EV||Whitney Dove (2)||Emily Landry/1|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Melissa Black (L, 0-1-0)||60:00||6||18||10||17||45|
|Madison Myers (W, 2-0-0)||59:02||2||4||6||1||11|
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women's ice hockey team defeated the University of Vermont, 6-2, in the Hockey East opener at Schneider Arena on Sunday afternoon.
Providence - 6 | Vermont - 2
Providence: 2-0-0 (1-0-0 HE) | Vermont: 0-1-0 (0-1-0 HE)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) put the Friars on the board just 3:21 into the first period. She picked up a rebound from Kathleen McHugh's (Billerica, Mass.) shot and fired it home from the left side of the crease. Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) recorded the secondary assist.
- The Catamounts leveled the score at the 13:13 mark of the first period. Val Caldwell streaked down the boards and took a shot from below the left circle, which squeaked through the pads of Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.).
- Vermont took the lead early in the second period on a rebound goal from Daria O'Neill. Saana Valkama and Eve Audrey Picard picked up assists on the play.
- Putigna responded with a goal at the 7:53 mark. She shoved home a puck on the left side of the net for her second goal of the season.
- Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) picked up an unassisted goal on a breakaway about six minutes later to give the Friars a 3-2 lead.
- Freshman Hayley Lunny scored her first career goal with under four minutes remaining in the period. Putigna and Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) earned assists.
- The Friars scored again at the 3:21 mark to start off the third period. McHugh's wrist shot from the slot found the back of the net. Putigna and Rachel Rockwell (Broadview Heights, Ohio) notched assists.
- Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) joined the scoring party with the Friars' sixth goal. Dove and Emily Landry (Orangeville, Ontario) put together a nice give-and-go play that resulted in the goal.
- Six different players scored in Sunday's win. Through two regular season games, 10 different players have scored goals.
- Fifteen of the 18 Friars who have dressed so far this season have earned at least a point.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 3:21/1st - EV - Brooke Boquist, assisted by Kathleen McHugh and Christina Putigna - Rebound goal from the left side of the net
1-1 (UVM) - 13:13/1st - EV - Val Caldwell (unassisted) - Wrist shot from below the left circle
1-2 (UVM) - 3:59/2nd - EV - Daria O'Neill, assisted by Saana Valkama and Eve Audrey Picard - Rebound goal
2-2 (Providence) - 7:53/2nd - Christina Putigna, assisted by Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) - Pushed home a loose puck on the left side of the net
3-2 (Providence) - 13:56/2nd - Meaghan Rickard (unassisted) - Breakaway goal
4-2 (Providence) - 16:14/2nd - Hayley Lunny, assisted by Christina Putigna and Avery Fransoo - Tap in from the top of the crease
5-2 (Providence) - 3:21/3rd - Kathleen McHugh, assisted by Christina Putigna and Rachel Rockwell - Wrist shot from the slot
6-2 (Providence) - 11:27/3rd - Whitney Dove, assisted by Emily Landry - Give-and-go play through the slot
Providence: Madison Myers, 2-0-0: 11 saves, 2 goals against
Vermont: Melissa Black, 0-1-0: 45 saves, 6 goals against
Face-off percentage: 51.7% (31/60)
Power plays: 0-6 (0%)
Penalty kill: 100% (2-2)
Face-off percentage: 48.3% (29/60)
Power plays: 0-2
Penalty kill: 100% (6-6)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Brooke Boquist (9)
Goals: Six different players (1)
Assists: Christina Putigna (3)
Points: Christina Putigna (4)
The Friars play a home-and-home series with Quinnipiac next weekend. On Friday, the Friars host the Bobcats at 7:00 p.m. On Saturday, the game is set for 4:00 p.m. in Hamden, Conn.