|1st||1:56||MER||1-0||EV||Annie Boeckers (2)||Paige Voight/7|
|2nd||1:23||MER||2-0||SH GW||Katelyn Rae (19)||-|
|2nd||5:38||MER||3-0||EV||Mikyla Grant-Mentis (11)||Annie Boeckers/3, Katelyn Rae/6|
|3rd||16:14||PRV||1-3||EV||Kate Friesen (4)||Maureen Murphy/7, Christina Putigna/12|
|3rd||18:45||MER||4-1||EV EN||Jessica Bonfe (5)||-|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Samantha Ridgewell (W, 7-10-1)||60:00||1||10||13||15||38|
|Madison Myers (L, 13-9-6)||57:58||3||9||2||5||16|
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The No. 9 Providence College women's hockey team fell to the Merrimack College Warriors by a score of 4-1 on Friday night at Schneider Arena.
No. 9 Providence - 1 | Merrimack - 4
Providence: 14-10-6 (10-6-4 HE) | Merrimack: 10-17-3 (5-13-2 HE)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Merrimack got the scoring started early with a goal 1:56 into the first. Junior Paige Voight skated through the neutral zone and took a wrist shot from the high slot that was tipped past Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) by classmate Annie Boeckers.
- Providence drew the first penalty of the game just 1:11 into the second, but Merrimack responded with a short-handed goal to increase the lead. Katelyn Rae forced a neutral-zone turnover, skated in alone on Myers and beat her with a quick deke.
- Mikyla Grant-Mentis struck again for Merrimack at the 5:38 mark of the middle frame. Her goal, which was assisted by the previous goal scorers Boeckers and Rae, came on the 2-on-1 rush.
- Despite letting up two goals, the Friars outshot the Warriors 13-4 in the second frame.
- Providence cut into the Merrimack lead at the 16:14 mark of the third period. Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) skated into the slot from the point and ripped a wrist shot past Samantha Ridgewell to make it 3-1.
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) and Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) earned their seventh and 12th assists of the season, respectively.
- Merrimack responded with an empty-net goal with 1:15 left to play. Jessica Bonfe recorded the tally for the Warriors.
- The Friars finished the season series against Merrimack with a 2-0-1 record.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Merrimack) - 1:56/1st - EV - Annie Boeckers, assisted by Paige Voight - Shot from the high slot, tipped in front
2-0 (Merrimack) - 1:23/2nd - SH - Katelyn Rae (unassisted) - Turnover in the neutral zone which led to a breakaway
3-0 (Merrimack) - 5:38/2nd - EV - Mikyla Grant-Mentis, assisted by Annie Boeckers and Katelyn Rae - 2-on-1 rush
3-1 (Providence) - 16:14/3rd - EV - Kate Friesen, assisted by Maureen Murphy and Christina Putigna - Wrist shot from the slot
4-1 (Merrimack) - 18:45/3rd - EN - Jessica Bonfe (unassisted) - Empty-netter
Providence: Madison Myers, 13-9-6: 16 saves, 3 goals against
Merrimack: Samantha Ridgewell, 7-10-1: 38 saves, 1 goals against
Face-off percentage: 33/57
Power plays: 0-1 (0%)
Penalty kill: 2-2 (100%)
Power plays: 0-2 (0%)
Penalty kill: 1-1 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Murphy (7)
Goals: Friesen (1)
Assists: Murphy, Putigna (1)
Points: Friesen, Murphy, Putigna (1)
The Friars travel to UConn tomorrow (Feb. 3) for a 3:00 p.m. puck drop at Freitas Ice Forum.