|2nd||4:39||COR||1-0||EV||Madlynne Mills (7)||Kristin O'Neill/10, Brianna Veerman/4|
|2nd||16:46||PRV||1-1||EV||Christina Putigna (8)||Whitney Dove/1, Meaghan Rickard/6|
|2nd||18:00||COR||2-1||EV GW||Kristin O'Neill (4)||Grace Graham/1, Willow Slobodzian/1|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Marlene Boissonnault (W, 6-3-1)||60:00||1||9||4||9||22|
|Madison Myers (L, 8-4-3)||58:52||2||11||14||13||38|
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The No. 10 Providence College women's hockey team fell to No. 8 Cornell University by a score of 2-1 on Saturday afternoon (Nov. 25) at Schneider Arena.
No. 10 Providence - 1 | No. 8 Cornell - 2
Providence: 9-4-3 (6-1-1 HE) | Cornell: 6-3-1 (5-1-0 ECAC)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Cornell opened the game by rattling off nine shots in the first nine minutes, all of which Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) was able to save.
- The Friars found their stride as the period wore on, bringing the shot total to 11-9 in favor of the Big Red at the end of the frame.
- At the 4:39 mark of the second period, Maddie Mills gave Cornell a 1-0 lead. She scored her seventh of the season on a rebound chance in front. Kristin O'Neill and Brianna Veerman notched assists on the play.
- The goal snapped Providence's shutout streak at 172:41.
- Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) scored her eighth goal of the season to tie the game with under five minutes left in the second period. Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) played the puck to Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) who shoveled it ahead to Putigna. She redirected it in on goal from center ice and it trickled under the stick of Marlene Boissnnault.
- Less than two minutes later, the Big Red regained the lead with a goal from O'Neill. She skated off the left boards a fired a wrist shot over Myers' shoulder. Grace Graham and Willow Slobodzian grabbed their first assists of the season on the play.
- Myers finished the day with 38 saves.
- The Friars killed off all three penalties they took today. In the last four games, the Friars are 18-for-18 on the penalty kill.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Cornell) - 4:39/2nd - EV - Maddie Mills, assisted by Kristin O'Neill and Brianna Veerman - Rebound goal in front
1-1 (Providence) - 16:46/2nd - EV - Christina Putigna, assisted by Whitney Dove and Meaghan Rickard - Deflection from center ice
2-1 (Cornell) - 18:00/2nd - EV - Kristin O'Neill, assisted by Grace Graham and Willow Slobodzian - Top-shelf wrist shot from the left circle
Providence: Madison Myers, 8-4-3: 38 saves, 2 goals against
Cornell: Marlene Boissonnault, 6-3-1: 22 saves, 1 goal against
Face-off percentage: 38.5% (25/65)
Power plays: 0-2 (0%)
Penalty kill: 3-3 (100%)
Face-off percentage: 61.5% (40/65)
Power plays: 0-3 (0%)
Penalty kill: 2-2 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Christina Putigna (5)
Goals: Christina Putigna (1)
Assists: Whitney Dove and Meaghan Rickard (1)
Points: Putigna, Dove, Rickard (1)
The Friars continue the series with Cornell tomorrow (Nov. 26) at 2:00 p.m. at Schneider Arena.