|1st||12:21||PRV||1-0||SH||Maureen Murphy (11)||-|
|2nd||10:03||PRV||2-0||EV GW||Blair Parent (5)||Maureen Murphy/2, Cassidy MacPherson/13|
|3rd||1:40||PRV||3-0||EV||Blair Parent (6)||Rachel Rockwell/7, Ariane Julien/4|
|3rd||13:45||CON||1-3||EV||Leah Lum (5)||Natalie Snodgrass/8, Briana Colangelo/10|
|3rd||17:45||PRV||4-1||SH EN||Maureen Murphy (12)||-|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Annie Belanger (L, 3-5-4)||59:28||3||7||2||9||18|
|Madison Myers (W, 9-4-4)||60:00||1||6||12||15||33|
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The No. 10 Providence College women's hockey team skated to a 4-1 victory over the University of Connecticut on Dec. 2 at Schneider Arena.
No. 10 Providence - 4 | UConn - 1
Providence: 10-5-4 (7-1-2 HE) | UConn: 4-6-7 (0-5-4 HE)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Freshman Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) got the Friars on the board at the 12:21 mark of the first period. She broke through multiple defenders onto a breakaway and scored a short-handed goal for the Friars to make it 1-0.
- Blair Parent (Blaine, Minn.) increased Providence's lead midway through the second period. Murphy took a shot from the point that Parent tipped out of the air in front. Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) picked up the secondary assist on the play.
- Just 1:40 into the third period, Parent struck again in a similar manner. She redirected Rachel Rockwell's (Broadview Heights, Ohio) shot from the point for her second goal of the night. Ariane Julien (Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec) grabbed the secondary assist.
- Leah Lum cut into the Providence lead at the 13:45 mark of the third period. Natalie Snodgrass played a cross-ice pass to Lum, who slapped a one-timer home to make it 3-1 in favor of the Friars.
- Murphy tallied her second goal of the game, and 12th of the season with just over two minutes to play. She broke up the Huskies' offense, skated in on the empty net and scored.
- The Friars killed off four power plays today, pushing Providence to 27-for-27 on the penalty kill in the last seven games.
- The Huskies outshot the Friars 34-22 on the evening. Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) made 33 saves in her ninth win of the season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 12:21/1st - SH - Maureen Murphy (unassisted) - Breakaway goal
2-0 (Providence) - 10:03/2nd - EV - Blair Parent, assisted by Maureen Murphy and Cassidy MacPherson - Shot from Murphy, tipped out of the air in front by Parent
3-0 (Providence) - 1:40/3rd - EV - Blair Parent, assisted by Rachel Rockwell and Ariane Julien - Shot from Rockwell, tipped in front by Parent
3-1 (UConn) - 13:45/3rd - EV - Leah Lum, assisted by Natalie Snodgrass and Carley Olivier - One-time slap shot from the right side
4-1 (Providence) - 17:45/3rd - EN (SH) - Maureen Murphy (unassisted) - Empty-net goal
Providence: Madison Myers, 9-4-4: 33 saves, 1 goal against
UConn: Annie Belanger, 3-5-4: 17 saves, 3 goals against
Face-off percentage: 40.0% (20/50)
Power plays: 0-1 (0%)
Penalty kill: 4-4 (100%)
Face-off percentage: 60.0% (30/50)
Power plays: 0-4 (0%)
Penalty kill: 1-1 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Maureen Murphy (5)
Goals: Maureen Murphy and Blair Parent (2)
Assists: Four different players (1)
Points: Maureen Murphy (3)
The Friars conclude 2017 with a Hockey East game against Boston University on Saturday, Dec. 9. Puck drop is at 2:00 p.m.