|1st||7:37||NOE||1-0||PP||Taytum Clairmont||Shelby Herrington, Skylar Fontaine|
|2nd||1:29||CNQ||1-1||EV||Marie-Pascale Bernier||Sophie Gagnon, Audrey-Anne Allard|
|2nd||4:26||NOE||2-1||PP||Codie Cross||McKenna Brand, Tori Sullivan|
|2nd||19:21||NOE||3-1||PP GW||Tori Sullivan||Denisa Křížová, McKenna Brand|
|3rd||18:17||CNQ||2-3||PP EA||Claudia Dubois||Caroll-Ann Gagné, Audrey Belzile|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Concordia (QC) Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Alice Philbert (L)||57:17||3||9||8||8||25|
|Brianna Storms (W)||14:51||0||0||0||2||2|
BOSTON - The No. 8 Northeastern women's hockey team scored three power-play goals to defeat Concordia by a 3-2 score in exhibition play Saturday afternoon at Matthews Arena.
Redshirt junior Taytum Clairmont, sophomore Codie Cross and redshirt junior Tori Sullivan lit the lamp for Northeastern, while goaltenders Brittany Bugalski, Brianna Storms and Aerin Frankel combined to keep the Concordia offense at bay.
The Huskies outshot the Stingers by a 28-17 margin, including a 20-7 edge through the first two periods. Concordia narrowed the final shot margin courtesy of a late 6-on-3 power-play, but Frankel held the fort with several big stops in the waning minutes to preserve the win.
- Northeastern struck first with a power-play goal at the 7:37 mark of the opening period. Clairmont picked up a pass from senior Shelby Herrington behind the cage and whipped a shot on goal from a sharp angle at the left of the net. Concordia netminder Alice Philbert made the initial stop, but could not cover the loose puck, allowing Clairmont to find the disc and bury it inside the right post to make it 1-0.
- The Stingers tied the game at 1:29 of the second stanza when Marie-Pascale Bernier scored on a partial breakaway, flicking a shot under the crossbar following a feed from Sophie Gagnon.
- The Huskies pushed ahead for good with another power-play marker at 4:26 of the second period. After some nice puck movement in the Concordia zone, senior McKenna Brand found Cross open at the left point for a shot that snuck through traffic, inside the right post to push the score to 2-1.
- Sullivan tacked on a third power-play goal at 19:21 of the middle frame, taking a feed from senior Denisa Krizova and wristing a shot off the crossbar and in from the left circle.
- Concordia pulled a goal back with 1:43 left in the third period when Claudia Dubois' point-shot found its way through several bodies and into the net on a 6-on-4 advantage.
Stats of the Game
- Brand (two assists) and Sullivan (goal, assist) each posted multi-point efforts.
- Northeastern went 3-for-5 on the power play, while Concordia went 1-for-6.
- Junior Kasidy Anderson led all players with five shots on goal.
- Frankel paced the NU netminders with seven saves on eight shots, while Bugalski turned aside six of seven attempts, and Storms blocked both shots she faced.
The Huskies will open the regular season on Sept. 29-30 against defending national champion Clarkson at Matthews Arena. Faceoff on Friday, Sept. 29 is set for 7 p.m.