|1st||19:10||NOE||1-0||PP||Heather Mottau (8)||Denisa Křížová/24, Codie Cross/12|
|2nd||1:27||NOE||2-0||EV||Codie Cross (3)||Paige Capistran/5, Halle Silva/9|
|2nd||4:34||CON||1-2||PP||Theresa Knutson (9)||Kelly Harris/5, Jesssica Stott/11|
|3rd||1:30||NOE||3-1||EV GW||Matti Hartman (8)||-|
|3rd||6:27||NOE||4-1||EV||Kasidy Anderson (11)||Andrea Renner/2|
|3rd||8:47||CON||2-4||EV||Justine Fredette (5)||Cydnee Cook/3, Kelly Harris/6|
|3rd||17:31||NOE||5-2||EV EN||Hayley Scamurra (8)||Denisa Křížová/25, Lauren Kelly/7|
|3rd||18:38||NOE||6-2||EV EN||Kasidy Anderson (12)||Shelby Herrington/12, Maddie Hartman/14|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Annie Belanger (L, 11-15-4)||58:04||4||15||10||9||34|
|Brittany Bugalski (W, 19-9-3)||60:00||2||10||8||6||24|
BOSTON - The Northeastern women's hockey team (20-11-3) used a four-goal third period to claim a 6-2 victory over UConn (14-17-4) in game one of the WHEA quarterfinals on Friday evening at Matthews Arena.
Twelve different Huskies recorded at least a point, including multi-point efforts from sophomore Kasidy Anderson (two goals), freshman Codie Cross (one goal, one assist) and junior Denisa Krizova (two assists). Senior Heather Mottau, freshman Matti Hartman and senior Hayley Scamurra also scored for the Huskies, who secured their fourth 20-win season in the last six years.
Sophomore Brittany Bugalski steered aside 24 UConn shots as the host Huskies held a 40-26 shot advantage in the game.
- Northeastern opened the scoring in the final minute of the first period on a power-play goal by Mottau. Krizova skated toward the net from the right corner and flipped a shot on goal, forcing UConn netminder Annie Belanger (34 saves) to spill the rebound in the slot. Mottau was first to pounce, tucking the loose disc into the cage at the 19:10 mark of the frame.
- The Huskies added a second goal just 1:27 into the second stanza. After some good puck movement in the UConn zone, freshman Paige Capistran found Cross open at the left point for a wrister that sailed through traffic and into the back of the net to make it 2-0.
- UConn responded just over three minutes later when Theresa Knutson ripped a shot past Bugalski from between the circles on the power play at the 4:34 mark.
- Northeastern restored its two-goal cushion 1:30 into the third period when Matti Hartman intercepted a pass deep in the UConn zone and beat Belanger with a quick shot from the right slot.
- Anderson added to the lead at 6:27 of the final frame, taking a lead pass from freshman Andrea Renner, before ripping a shot past Belanger on a breakaway to make it 4-1.
- UConn chipped away at the deficit at 8:47 of the third period when Justine Fredette tucked a loose puck inside the left post after Bugalski had made an initial save on Cydnee Cook's point shot.
- The Huskies salted the game away in the final three minutes with a pair of empty-net goals, first from Scamurra at 17:31, and then Anderson at 18:38 to round out the scoring.
- With the victory, Northeastern secured its fourth 20-win season in the last six years, and its 15th 20-win campaign in program history.
- With a pair of assists Friday, Denisa Krizova moved into the program's top-10 in career points with 136.
- Krizova has recorded at least one point in eight straight games.
- Kasidy Anderson notched her second two-goal game of the season (Jan. 28 at UNH).
- Hayley Scamurra posted her 30th point of the season with a goal in the third period. Scamurra has eight points (two goals, six assists) in four games vs. UConn this season.
- Twelve different NU players recorded at least a point on Friday.
- NU's four-goal third period was its highest-scoring period of the season.
- Northeastern extended its unbeaten streak against UConn to 22 straight games (19-0-3).
The Huskies will look to close out the quarterfinal series with UConn on Saturday in game two at 3 p.m.